Project ideas and rambling thoughts

In summary, the conversation revolves around a newly graduated mechanical engineer's struggle to find entry-level job opportunities in the Pacific Northwest region. The engineer discusses the saturation of the market by highly educated and experienced professionals from other areas, and their own plans to advance themselves through projects to showcase their skills. They ask for suggestions on project ideas and the value of following existing ideas versus breaking new ground. Other forum members suggest considering relocation for job opportunities and emphasize the importance of being a trained problem solver rather than focusing solely on innovation and unique ideas.
MacLaddy
Gold Member
As a newly graduated mechanical engineer, I am searching for employment opportunities in my hometown region of the Pacific Northwest. However, as this area becomes more of a trendy hotspot, more & more people are moving here as an alternative to the high-priced lifestyle in California. Unfortunately for me, they are also bringing their Ph.D.'s, Master degrees, and years of experience along with them. They are saturating the market, and it leaves little room for entry level opportunities.

In my mind, the solution for this is only to advance myself further. Not in education, as I am already "too old" to continue with that (at least for now), but with projects that I can showcase. So my questions that I present to the wisdom of Physics Forums is twofold.

First: What types of projects can help me in my endeavors. I own a small FDM 3D Printer, but I don't think presenting a gimmicky-gadget would be very useful. I have considered building a small single seater sandrail from the ground up, but my resources are fairly limited. I've also thought about building a small robot. Something simple, but with considerable automation.

Second: How useful is a project when all I'm really doing is following along with what has already been done? Take, for example, the video below. I want to build this robot, but is there really any value to it? I feel like I need to break new ground for it to be of any use. Not just follow along with what someone else has done. The problem is that I don't really know how to break new ground...not yet, anyway.

Thoughts? Opinions? I am employed with a good job and I know that an opportunity will eventually arise with my continued persistence...but I'm getting bored. Figure I might as well be doing something interesting.

Mac

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know if this is helpful, or at all what you're looking for, but here is a random project idea. I've seen videos on YouTube where people use styrofoam for metal casting. Here is one example.

One interesting project you might do is come up with a way to 3D print a replacement for the styrofaom in the above process.

Last edited:
Likes MacLaddy
Don't sell yourself short. Companies may be quite willing to hire an entry-level person because they are less expensive. AND they usually don't bring toxic baggage and high expectations that more seasoned candidates sometimes (most of the time?) do. So the entry-level person can be more easily "trained" and "adapted" into the particular company's needs and culture.

You also should recognize that an engineering degree is very transportable because you have become a TPS...a Trained Problem Solver. Lucky for you, there are lots of companies with lots of problems to be solved. Go see the world and gain experience while you do it. You might discover that the Universe does not rotate around the Pacific Northwest. You can always return.

The last comment: innovation & unique ideas are really cool, fun, thrilling, challenging. I've been chasing those things also over the last 30 years. But I think the odds are the same for the population of high school basketball players reaching the NBA. What I have found is that the person who figures out a way to do the common, mundane tasks better than everyone else is the person who will be successful because the orders will keep flowing in. There are plenty of case histories of blue-collar millionaires doing mundane, unglamorous things and making a fortune from it.

Likes MacLaddy
MacLaddy said:
In my mind, the solution for this is only to advance myself further.

It kind of goes unsaid in your post, but have you considered relocating for your first engineering job? Limiting your geographical search to your "hometown region of the Pacific Northwest" also limits the opportunities...

Likes MacLaddy
Evanish said:
I don't know if this is helpful, or at all what you're looking for, but here is a random project idea. I've seen videos on YouTube where people use styrofoam for metal casting. Here is one example.
One interesting project you might do is come up with a way to 3D print a replacement for the styrofaom in the above process.

That's a fun idea, and one that I've considered doing. I believe I could do a method called "Lost PLA," where you allow the plastic to melt out of the mold before casting. My concern is that I live in a condo complex. I don't think they like fire very much.

Likes Evanish
tygerdawg said:
Don't sell yourself short. Companies may be quite willing to hire an entry-level person because they are less expensive. AND they usually don't bring toxic baggage and high expectations that more seasoned candidates sometimes (most of the time?) do. So the entry-level person can be more easily "trained" and "adapted" into the particular company's needs and culture.

You also should recognize that an engineering degree is very transportable because you have become a TPS...a Trained Problem Solver. Lucky for you, there are lots of companies with lots of problems to be solved. Go see the world and gain experience while you do it. You might discover that the Universe does not rotate around the Pacific Northwest. You can always return.

The last comment: innovation & unique ideas are really cool, fun, thrilling, challenging. I've been chasing those things also over the last 30 years. But I think the odds are the same for the population of high school basketball players reaching the NBA. What I have found is that the person who figures out a way to do the common, mundane tasks better than everyone else is the person who will be successful because the orders will keep flowing in. There are plenty of case histories of blue-collar millionaires doing mundane, unglamorous things and making a fortune from it.

Honestly, I think you hit the nail on the head with your post and I think it perfectly describes my situation. While I am an entry-level mechanical engineer, I am not an entry level employee. At 39, I graduated a bit later in life than most, plus I have years of facilities maintenance and management experience. I've found that this experience actually hurts me in many capacities more than it helps, and I suspect it is because of the "baggage" concept you discussed.

I like your NBA analogy, although it is a bit disheartening. I think most of us become an engineer to be a part of the next big thing, but reality quickly settles in.

Mech_Engineer said:
It kind of goes unsaid in your post, but have you considered relocating for your first engineering job? Limiting your geographical search to your "hometown region of the Pacific Northwest" also limits the opportunities...

I've considered it, but it isn't quite as simple as just relocating. As I mentioned above, I am a bit of an old-fogie for a graduate. I would have to relocate my family as well, including pulling my kids out of school. I'm actually from the Salt Lake City area and I relocated up here to finish my degree, so this isn't my original hometown.

What is the process for coming up with project ideas?

The process for coming up with project ideas varies from person to person, but some common techniques include brainstorming, conducting research, and keeping a journal or idea notebook. It is also helpful to seek inspiration from other sources, such as current events or personal interests.

How can I ensure that my project idea is original?

To ensure that your project idea is original, it is important to conduct thorough research and see if a similar idea has already been implemented. You can also seek feedback from peers or experts in the field to get their perspective on the uniqueness of your idea.

What should I consider when choosing a project idea?

When choosing a project idea, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and available resources. You should also think about the potential impact of your project and its feasibility within a given timeframe and budget.

How do I organize my thoughts and ideas for a project?

There are various ways to organize your thoughts and ideas for a project, such as creating a mind map, outlining, or using project management tools. It is important to find a method that works best for you and allows you to easily keep track of your ideas and progress.

What should I do if I have too many project ideas?

If you have too many project ideas, it can be overwhelming and difficult to choose just one. One approach is to prioritize your ideas based on their potential impact, feasibility, and personal interest. You can also consider combining some ideas or saving them for future projects.