Exploring Renewable Energy: My College Search Journey

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in renewable energy and their academic plans to pursue a double major in physics and chemistry followed by a graduate degree in engineering. They question whether this is too much and ask for advice on the best academic path for renewable energy. The expert suggests exploring different fields in college and recommends majors in physics, chemistry, mathematics, mechanical or electrical engineering, and even business for a career in renewable energy. They also mention the option of an engineering physics degree and suggest pursuing a Bachelor's in Physics and a Master's in Alternative and Renewable energy sources.
echandler
I am a Junior in high school and am just starting the college search. I have always wanted to so something with space, and be an astronaut if I could, but, as astronauts take up such a small percentage of any group of people, I have begun to look for other things. Something that has caught my eye and has really interested me is renewable energy production. The thing is that I don't know what degrees to pursue. What I am thinking right now is to get a double major in physics and chemistry, thereby giving myself a very broad basis and understanding of the world. Then, with respect to my graduate degree, I would funnel into an engineering degree. From reading other posts on physicsforums, it seems that for renewable engineering, the three best engineering degrees are chemical, for biofuels, biomass, and the like; Nuclear, for nuclear fission and fusion; and mechanical, "for everything else," as someone said. I am not terribly interested in the nuclear side of things, so I am dropping that path. So I am left with mechanical or chemical engineering, and I, having only taken AP Chemisty and AP Physics C, don't know enough to say which one I like better (I would like to do both). In conclusion, I am a person who has both sides: I really like to learn stuff and know things, but I also, though I am only in high school and have not been in the field yet, know that I am a producer. The thing I don't know yet is when the wanting to learn too much takes over the practical production side of me. Does trying to get a double major in physics and chemistry, and follow that with a graduate degree in chemical or mechanical engineering, qualify as trying to learn and do too much? If so, what academic path do y'all think I should do? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

It's a bit too early to be planning out your post graduate work while still in high school.

You can get into renewable energy from any number of different fields. Physics, chemistry, mathematics, mechanical or electrical engineering... any of these would give you good skills. Heck, even biology and computer science might get you there, depending on the specifics.

Take classes in a few different fields when you start college and see what you like best. Even if you don't like any of the sciences, there's room in renewable energy for business and similar fields.

So just relax and explore your options when you get to college.

I have 3 questions:

1) What majors are geared toward renewable energy? You've answered that any number of majors would work. I am a math/science person, and I particularly enjoy physics and chemistry.

2) I have thought that I would like to major in physics and/or chemistry and then engineering on grad school, but from other posts on this forum, it sounds like an undergrad engineering degree is preferred and that engineering grads are more marketable. Is this true?

3) With an engineering degree will I gain as much knowledge in chemistry and/or physics (I understand the type of engineering is important to this question) as I would if I had majored in these subjects alone?

1.Physics
2.There are many physicists that do engineering work. You could do Engineering Physics if you want a between solution.
3.NO and viceversa, but it is easyer to go from physics to engineering then from engineering to physics.

I suggest go Bachelor in Physics and Masters in Alternative and Renewable energy sources.

I myself am doing a 3 year bachelor in Physics then go straight to 4th year in Engineering Physics, and masters in Interdisciplinary Science: integrated approach to Natural Sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) as a second master I might do Pedagogy; Alternative and Renewable energy sources; Atomic, nuclear and elementary particles interactions, astrophysics and applications; or Earth and Atmospheric Science.

I applaud your interest in renewable energy and your dedication to finding the right academic path to pursue it. Renewable energy is a rapidly growing field with endless possibilities, and it is important to have a solid foundation in both science and engineering to contribute to its development.

Your plan to pursue a double major in physics and chemistry followed by a graduate degree in chemical or mechanical engineering is a great start. These subjects will provide you with a strong understanding of the fundamental principles behind renewable energy technologies. Additionally, a background in both physics and chemistry will give you a well-rounded perspective on the field, allowing you to approach problems from multiple angles.

In terms of which engineering degree to pursue, it ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. Both chemical and mechanical engineering have important roles in renewable energy production. Chemical engineering, as you mentioned, is crucial for biofuels and biomass production. It also plays a role in the development of solar cells and batteries. On the other hand, mechanical engineering is important for designing and optimizing wind turbines and other renewable energy systems. I would recommend exploring both fields further to see which one appeals to you more.

As for your concern about trying to do too much, I believe that it is always beneficial to have a strong academic background in multiple areas. It will not only make you a more well-rounded individual but also give you the tools to approach problems from different perspectives. However, it is important to find a balance between learning and practical application. As you progress through your academic journey, you will gain hands-on experience through internships, research projects, and other opportunities that will help you develop practical skills in addition to your theoretical knowledge.

In conclusion, pursuing a double major in physics and chemistry followed by a graduate degree in either chemical or mechanical engineering is a great academic path for a career in renewable energy. I encourage you to continue exploring your interests and gaining hands-on experience to help you make a more informed decision about which field to pursue. Best of luck in your college search journey!

1. What is renewable energy?

Renewable energy is energy that is generated from natural resources that can be replenished or renewed, such as sunlight, wind, water, and geothermal heat. It is considered to be a sustainable and environmentally friendly alternative to traditional sources of energy.

2. Why is exploring renewable energy important?

Exploring renewable energy is important because it allows us to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, which contribute to climate change and air pollution. It also promotes the use of clean and sustainable sources of energy, which can help to mitigate the negative effects of climate change on our planet.

3. How can I incorporate renewable energy into my college search journey?

You can incorporate renewable energy into your college search journey by researching and considering colleges that offer programs or majors related to renewable energy, such as sustainable energy engineering, renewable energy management, or environmental science. You can also look for colleges that have a strong commitment to sustainability and renewable energy practices on their campuses.

4. What career opportunities are available in the renewable energy field?

There are a variety of career opportunities available in the renewable energy field, including roles in engineering, research and development, project management, policy and advocacy, and consulting. Some specific job titles may include renewable energy engineer, solar panel installer, wind turbine technician, and renewable energy analyst.

5. How can I get involved in renewable energy research as a college student?

There are several ways to get involved in renewable energy research as a college student. You can join a research team or lab at your college, participate in internships or co-op programs with renewable energy companies or organizations, or conduct your own research projects with the guidance of a faculty mentor. You can also attend conferences and workshops related to renewable energy to learn more about current research and network with professionals in the field.