I want to learn it all. I'll need a guide.

• Thread starter Etheryte
  • Start date
In summary, Andrew is a high school junior who is passionate about pursuing a doctorate degree in Quantum Physics. He has been studying advanced math and physics topics on his own and is seeking advice on how to continue his studies. It is recommended that he focuses on math and chooses a university with a large physics department. Additionally, he should prioritize doing practice problems and consider buying textbooks for his studies.
Etheryte
I feel as if I should begin with a brief introduction, my name is Andrew. I'm currently a junior in high school and I aspire to pursue a doctorate degree in Quantum Physics.
I've always been immensely intrigued by physics. As a kid I always questioned so many things and as I grew up I realized that physics holds the answers to many of those questions.

Anyhow, as my educational background goes, I've taken Algebra I, Geometry, and I'm taking Algebra II this year. Feeling as if this is immensely slow, I've put it upon myself to use the Algebra II syllabus to read ahead and study. Additionally, I've borrowed a Trig/PreCal book from the math department head, and I've been studying that as well.

My question is, what now? I want to learn so much so quickly, and being still a junior; I feel the wait until college is bothersome.

Could anyone lend some advice to help in my pursuit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Etheryte said:
My question is, what now? I want to learn so much so quickly, and being still a junior; I feel the wait until college is bothersome.

Could anyone lend some advice to help in my pursuit?

Do not worry about the speed at which you learn things: only whether you have learned them as fully as you are capable of doing so. You will find yourself understanding discussions and naturally asking questions about specific things above the current level of your studies once you understand them properly. Rushing through the beginning will only end in answers to questions you never pondered being unceremoniously dumped into memory, and much of it will then seem meaningless.
That being said, here is a good start to your studies: http://www.staff.science.uu.nl/~Gadda001/goodtheorist/index.html .

Its best to read things in order and not jump ahead as physics can be cumulative in nature. There are a ton of free stuff/textbooks online of varying quality but on the other hand, buying textbooks, the way all university students/physics phds learn, can get expensive. Nevertheless, the textbooks I used in college listed in order are:

Undergraduate Classes
1. Calculus: "Calculus Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart
2. General Introductory Physics: "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" Vol. 1 and 2 by Serway and Beichner
3. Elementary Differential Equations: "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima
4. Partial Differential Equations: "An Introduction: Partial Differential Equations", by Walter Strauss (this book sucks, use a different one)
5. Error Analysis: "An Introduction to Error Analysis", by John Taylor
6. Classical Mechanics: "Classical Mechanics", by John Taylor
7. Electricity and Magnetism: "Introduction to Electrodynamics", by David Griffiths
8. Optics: "Optics" by Eugene Hecht
9. Statistical Mechanics: "Thermal Physics", by Daniel Schroeder
10. Quantum Mechanics: "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics", by David Griffiths
11. Electronics: "The Art of Electronics", by Horowitz and Hill
12. Solid State Physics: "Solid State Physics", by Ashcroft and Mermin
13. Particle Physics: "Introduction to Elementary Particles", by David Griffiths

Graduate Classes
All of it over again, but harder! Plus Quantum Field Theory.

If I were doing things all over again though from high school I would have spent my high school years focusing on math not physics. After finishing through undergraduate and then graduate school in physics I never had enough time to take enough math courses. Physics depends on math and it occasionally happens that Professors end up teaching topics where you would have a far better understanding of had one had more math. Occasionally group theory, number theory, complex analysis, and differential geometry can crop up, but I remember that it wasn't part of the official course recommendations when I was in undergraduate school. My only other two recommendation is to do the problems at the end of each chapter as physics is as much a skill as the act of knowing how things work. And lastly, pick a university that has a large physics department.

Last edited:

1. What subjects should I focus on to learn everything?

It is important to have a broad understanding of various subjects such as math, science, history, and language. However, it is also beneficial to focus on a specific area of interest to gain in-depth knowledge and expertise.

2. Where can I find a comprehensive guide to learning everything?

There are many resources available online, such as educational websites, online courses, and books, that can provide a comprehensive guide to learning various subjects. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experts or mentors in your desired field of study.

3. How long will it take to learn everything?

The time it takes to learn everything varies depending on the individual's dedication, learning style, and the complexity of the subjects. It is important to set realistic goals and consistently work towards them to make progress in your learning journey.

4. Is it possible to learn everything?

While it is not possible for one person to have complete knowledge of every subject, it is possible to continuously learn and expand your knowledge in various areas throughout your life. Embracing a growth mindset and being open to new information and ideas can help you learn more effectively.

5. What are some tips for successfully learning everything?

Some tips for successfully learning everything include setting clear goals, staying organized, actively engaging in the learning process, seeking help when needed, and regularly reviewing and practicing what you have learned. It is also important to take breaks and have a balanced approach to learning to avoid burnout.