I want to see how d/dt (-mu/r) = mu/r^2 * v

• I
  • Thread starter AdrianGriff
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking here.No, if I understand what you're asking. Then again, I don't see how the chain rule is applicable in this problem, since another way of writing the function is ##-\mu r^{-1}##, which doesn't call for the chain rule..In your work you had ##\d {dr} \mu = 1\mu^0 = 1##, which is incorrect.As G, M, and m are all constants and would all derive to be equal to zero?All would differentiate to zero, yes. (We don't say "derive" when we differentiate something.) You can derive the Quadratic Formula when you solve a quadratic equation by completing the square
AdrianGriff
So here it says that ##d/dt [-\mu/r] = (\mu/r^2)* v ## where ##r## is the separation or radius, and ##v## is the velocity, and ##\mu## is a parameter equal to ##G(M+m)##

And I do not see how they get this to be equal, because all of my tries using the quotient rule create another term that they do not have. Any help will be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianGriff said:
So here it says that ##d/dt [-\mu/r] = (\mu/r^2)* v ## where ##r## is the separation or radius, and ##v## is the velocity, and ##\mu## is a parameter equal to ##G(M+m)##

And I do not see how they get this to be equal, because all of my tries using the quotient rule create another term that they do not have. Any help will be appreciated :)
Do you know what ##\dfrac{d}{dt} f(t)^{-1}## is?

fresh_42 said:
Do you know what ##\dfrac{d}{dt} f(t)^{-1}## is?
Haha, no I do not :)

AdrianGriff said:

What do you get when you differentiate that expression?

AdrianGriff said:

The formula above implicitly assumes that r is a function of t. ##\mu## is a constant, since the quantities G, M and m are constants, at least as far as the calculation is concerned.
The quotient rule will work here, and is straightforward to use, if you keep in mind that the derivative of a constant is zero. Please show us what you did, and I'm sure we can set you straight.

Likes jim mcnamara
PeroK said:
What do you get when you differentiate that expression?
Thank you guys for your support, I will show what I am doing, as I am surely missing something so plainly obvious..

I did use the Quotient Rule also :)
$$\frac {d} {dx} \left[ \frac {g(x)} {h(x)} \right] = \left( \frac {g'(x)h(x) - h'(x)g(x)} {h(x)^2} \right)$$
And thus:
$$\frac {d} {dt} \left[ \frac {-\mu} {r} \right] = \frac {1\mu^0 * r - (-\mu * r')} {r^2} = \frac {r + \mu * v} {r^2}$$

However, @Mark44 's answer tipped me off and I now realize that ##\mu## itself differentiates to 0, and the first term would cancel to zero as well. So thank you.

AdrianGriff said:
Thank you guys for your support, I will show what I am doing, as I am surely missing something so plainly obvious..

I did use the Quotient Rule also :)
$$\frac {d} {dx} \left[ \frac {g(x)} {h(x)} \right] = \left( \frac {g'(x)h(x) - h'(x)g(x)} {h(x)^2} \right)$$
And thus:
$$\frac {d} {dt} \left[ \frac {-\mu} {r} \right] = \frac {1\mu^0 * r - (-\mu * r')} {r^2} = \frac {r + \mu * v} {r^2}$$
I'm pretty sure you get it, from what you wrote below, but here's a comment on your work above. It is not true that ##\frac d {dx} \mu = 1\mu^0##. The error here is treating ##\mu## as if it were a function of r. What is correct is that ##\frac d {dr} \mu = 0## -- the derivative of any constant is 0.
AdrianGriff said:
However, @Mark44 's answer tipped me off and I now realize that ##\mu## itself differentiates to 0, and the first term would cancel to zero as well. So thank you.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
I'm pretty sure you get it, from what you wrote below, but here's a comment on your work above. It is not true that ##\frac d {dx} \mu = 1\mu^0##. The error here is treating ##\mu## as if it were a function of r. What is correct is that ##\frac d {dr} \mu = 0## -- the derivative of any constant is 0.
Thank you :)

However the only ambiguity I can feel for here is that is ##\mu## not a function?
If ##\mu = G(M+m)## is that not considered a function during derivation?

AdrianGriff said:

However the only ambiguity I can feel for here is that is ##\mu## not a function?
No. As you said in post #1, ##\mu## is a parameter, a kind of constant. G is the gravitational constant, and M and m are considered constants for the purpose of differentiation. The only varying quantities are r and ##\frac \mu r##, that latter of which is a function of r.

Mark44 said:
No. As you said in post #1, ##\mu## is a parameter, a kind of constant. G is the gravitational constant, and M and m are considered constants for the purpose of differentiation. The only varying quantities are r and ##\frac \mu r##, that latter of which is a function of r.
Does treating ##\mu## like a function, and using the chain rule also create the same output? As G, M, and m are all constants and would all derive to be equal to zero? Or must it remain solely as a parameter?

Thank you a lot though :)

AdrianGriff said:
Does treating ##\mu## like a function, and using the chain rule also create the same output?
No, if I understand what you're asking. Then again, I don't see how the chain rule is applicable in this problem, since another way of writing the function is ##-\mu r^{-1}##, which doesn't call for the chain rule..
In your work you had ##\d {dr} \mu = 1\mu^0 = 1##, which is incorrect.

AdrianGriff said:
As G, M, and m are all constants and would all derive to be equal to zero?
All would differentiate to zero, yes. (We don't say "derive" when we differentiate something.) You can derive the Quadratic Formula when you solve a quadratic equation by completing the square, but you differentiate ##\sin(x)## to get ##\cos(x)##.

Likes AdrianGriff
AdrianGriff said:

You can consider it a function of time, but it's a constant function. If you draw a graph of ##G(M+m)## against time, the graph is flat, so the derivative is ##0##.

More fundamentally, though, you shouldn't even be trying to differentiate constants like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What does the equation d/dt (-mu/r) = mu/r^2 * v represent?

The equation represents the rate of change of the gravitational potential energy of an object in a circular orbit around another object, where mu represents the gravitational constant, r represents the distance between the two objects, and v represents the velocity of the orbiting object.

2. How is the equation derived?

The equation is derived from the equation for gravitational potential energy, which is given by U = -GmM/r, where G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. Taking the derivative of this equation with respect to time, dU/dt, gives us the rate of change of gravitational potential energy. Then, using the chain rule and the definition of angular velocity, we can arrive at the equation d/dt (-mu/r) = mu/r^2 * v.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in the equation?

The negative sign represents the fact that as the object moves closer to the other object, the gravitational potential energy decreases. This follows the concept that work must be done to move an object against a gravitational force, so the potential energy decreases as the object moves closer to the other object.

4. How does the equation relate to circular motion?

The equation relates to circular motion because it describes the relationship between the gravitational potential energy and the velocity of an object in a circular orbit. As the object moves at a constant speed in a circular path, the rate of change of gravitational potential energy is equal to the centripetal force, which is given by F = mv^2/r. This can be seen by equating the two equations d/dt (-mu/r) = mu/r^2 * v and F = mv^2/r.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this equation?

Yes, this equation has many real-world applications, particularly in the field of astrodynamics. It is used to calculate the orbits of satellites and other objects in space, and it is also used in the study of celestial mechanics. The equation is also relevant in understanding the stability of planetary systems and the motion of comets and other objects in our solar system.