1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I want to study applied mathematics on my own

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    i want to study applied mathematics on my own, but i don't know where to start

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

That depends on "where" you are right now. What mathematics do you already know, and what level of school are you in, or have completed?

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3
    i know a little bit of calculus, i'm in 11th grade

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Then you'll need to start with understanding all of calculus. That is: differentiation, integration, series, sequences and multivariable stuff. This is very much essential to mathematics.

I recommend you start with the book of Keisler: https://www.math.wisc.edu/~keisler/calc.html It gives awesome intuition for calculus. It deals with two very different approach to calculus, both standard and nonstandard (but focuses on the latter). That is: it accepts infinitesimals and does most calculations with them. The benefit is that
    1) This is how calculus was historically developed.
    2) It is more intuitive than the standard epsilon-delta approach
    3) It is easier to give rigorous proofs than in the standard approach (except for some easy-to-believe facts)
    4) Infinitesimals are still used widely in a lot of math and physics

If you do not feel comfortable learning about infinitesimals, then I recommend Lang's First course in calculus. This is also a very decent book, but his treatment of limits and continuity is a bit too brief.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook