Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I wrote the function y^50=x^2-5x-9.

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1
    I wrote the function y^50=x^2-5x-9. I found a large gap between the function from the x-axis to the end of the curve. My calculations show that the curve must touch the x-axis. Is this due to the accuracy of the program or does this curve indeed have a gap from the x-axis to the curve?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2
    What is the limit of x^2-5x-9 as x goes to positive infinity?
  4. Jun 12, 2007 #3
    Well it tends to Infinity? But I don't see how that helps...
  5. Jun 12, 2007 #4
    aaaaaaaa I think there is a misunderstanding.

Okay the graph looks in a way like this like this:

the gap is on the left:smile:
  6. Jun 12, 2007 #5
    You mean there is a discontinuity?
  7. Jun 12, 2007 #6
    Yes I suppose you could call it that
  8. Jun 12, 2007 #7
    There is something wrong. There is a discontinuity, since x^2-5x-9 has real roots and hence an interval over which it is negative, but this discontinuity should be between the zeros, on the x axis that is.
  9. Jun 12, 2007 #8
    hmm. So this is due clearly to the accuracy of the program?

As I thought that the range was: yER
  10. Jun 12, 2007 #9
    That's just an inaccuracy in the graphing program. The quadratic has 2 real roots, so the function hits zero, and both the quadratic and the fiftieth root function are continuous on their domains, so all the points in between appear as well.
  11. Jun 12, 2007 #10
    Thanks for the confirmation.
  12. Jun 12, 2007 #11

Science Advisor

Think about this prasannapakkiam, what happens to [tex]x^{\frac{1}{50}}[/tex] when x is close to zero but not exactly zero. Try some examples on your calculator, like 0.001^(1/50) for example.

Remember that your graphing program probably just chooses a bunch of points to evaluate and probably doesn't hit the zeros dead on. Can you see why [tex]x^2 - 5x -9[/tex] may be very close to zero but [tex](x^2 - 5x -9)^{\frac{1}{50}}[/tex] not necessarily so!

What I'm saying is this: Yes it is inaccuracy in the program that is causing the effect, but very much relevant to this is the nature of the function in question at points in the neighbourhood of it's zeros.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?