I wrote this on an exam, is it correct?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discussed the concepts of continuity and differentiability, and how they are related but not interchangeable. It also touched on the definitions of continuous and differentiable functions, as well as the existence of antiderivatives for different types of functions. The question of whether the lower limit in an integral is similar to the arbitrary constant in an antiderivative was also brought up.
1MileCrash
F(x) always exists and is differentiable as long as f(x) is continuous.

Do you agree?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you have it wrong

Continuity and Differentiability
D => C but the converse C => D is not true

y = |x| is continuous at x=0 but not Differentiable there.A function is Continuous ...
Informally... if you can trace its graph without lifting your pencil
Formally ...if Limit f(x) as x-> a = f(a)

A function is Differentiable if
Informally... if it can be approximated linearly (by a tangent line) at the point in question
Formally... if the Limit of the definition exists
f ' (x) = Limit as dx -> 0 [ f(x+dx) - f(x) ] / dx

Existence and Differentiability are the same thing

paulfr said:
No, you have it wrong

Continuity and Differentiability
D => C but the converse C => D is not true

y = |x| is continuous at x=0 but not Differentiable there.

A function is Continuous ...
Informally... if you can trace its graph without lifting your pencil
Formally ...if Limit f(x) as x-> a = f(a)

A function is Differentiable if
Informally... if it can be approximated linearly (by a tangent line) at the point in question
Formally... if the Limit of the definition exists
f ' (x) = Limit as dx -> 0 [ f(x+dx) - f(x) ] / dx

Existence and Differentiability are the same thing

You misunderstood his question. He was talking about primitives and integrals.

1MileCrash: yes, a continuous function [itex]f:[a,b]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] always has a differentiable primitve function.

If by F(x) you mean an anti-derivative of f(x), you are correct.

Alrighty, another question on the same subject but not from the exam.

Of course the nonelementary antiderivatives inspired that question. Is the lower limit in the integral sign of a nonelementary antiderivative kind of like the + C arbitrary constant for elementary antiderivatives?

1MileCrash said:
Alrighty, another question on the same subject but not from the exam.

Of course the nonelementary antiderivatives inspired that question. Is the lower limit in the integral sign of a nonelementary antiderivative kind of like the + C arbitrary constant for elementary antiderivatives?
If I understand what you're asking, there's no connection between the lower limit of integration and the arbitrary constant.

What do you mean by "nonelementary antiderivative?" I get the feeling you're really asking about definite (w. limits of integration) versus indefinite (wo limits of integration) integrals.

I can tell I wasn't clear, we're running on two different terminologies, what you're referring to, we call improper integrals. By elementary antiderivative, I mean an antiderivative that is just a normal polynomial/logarithmic/what have you function.

Now that I'm on an actual PC, I can show you.

The question was:

[itex]\int 8\sqrt{\frac{3}{4} sin^{2}\theta} d\theta[/itex]

This function has no elementary antiderivative, but it does have an antiderivative. Show one, and explain why it has an antiderivative.

An antiderivative is:

[itex]\int^{\theta}_{0} \sqrt{\frac{3}{4} sin^{2}t} dt[/itex]

Because that's a function of theta increasing at the rate of:
[itex]\ 8\sqrt{\frac{3}{4} sin^{2}\theta}[/itex]

An my answer "why" was the opening of this thread.

So, my question is, since

[itex]\int^{\theta}_{0} \sqrt{\frac{3}{4} sin^{2}t} dt[/itex]

Is increasing at the same rate and therefore has the same derivative whether I replace that 0 with 6, 22, 1000, is it like an arbirary constant for a normal antiderivative, since they are all antiderivatives of the original function no matter what the lower limit of the integral is?

1. Is it necessary to include my name and date on the exam paper?

It is always a good practice to include your name and date on any exam paper to ensure proper identification and organization.

2. Should I write in complete sentences or use bullet points for my answers?

This depends on the instructions given by the exam. If it specifically states to use bullet points, then use them. Otherwise, it is best to write in complete sentences to fully explain your answer.

3. Is it acceptable to use abbreviations or acronyms in my answers?

This also depends on the instructions given by the exam. If it allows for the use of abbreviations or acronyms, then it is acceptable to use them. However, it is best to avoid using them unless necessary to ensure clarity and understanding.

4. Can I use outside sources or references in my answers?

Again, this depends on the instructions given by the exam. If it explicitly states that outside sources or references are allowed, then it is acceptable to use them. However, if the exam is meant to test your own knowledge and understanding, it is best to avoid using outside sources.

5. How important is spelling and grammar on an exam?

Spelling and grammar are important in any written work, including exams. It is important to proofread your answers and make sure they are free of spelling and grammar errors to effectively communicate your ideas and earn full credit. However, minor errors may not significantly affect your overall grade as long as your answers are clear and well-supported.