Ialmdev5.DLL - giving me much problems

• Thread starter cbear0714
  • Start date
In summary: Dell-approved, but says it's compatible on dell.com) If that fails, try the Windows Update site. (Windows Update usually has the latest driver for hardware that's compatible with your computer.) If that still doesn't work, you might have to go out and buy a new graphics card. (This is more likely if you're using an NVIDIA card.)In summary, if you're getting the blue screen error and the DLL ialmdev.DLL is listed as the driver that's causing the freeze, you might have to try reinstalling your video driver.
cbear0714
ialmdev5.DLL - giving me much problems!

Hey everyone,

I've been playin' the sims2 + expansions for a few years now and never had a problem. Recently, however, whenver I tried to save the game, I've been encountering the blue screen error noting that ialmdev.DLL is the driver that seems to be causing the freeze and "dump of physical memory."

Here's my comp info:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: MXC051
BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
Memory: 1016MB RAM
Page File: 269MB used, 2173MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset
DAC type: Internal
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_01B51028&REV_03
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4693 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/15/2006 17:09:00, 45694 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
Mini VDD Date: 9/15/2006 17:16:48, 1173468 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66D2-11CF-CD61-BF21A2C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2592
SubSys ID: 0x01B51028
Revision ID: 0x0003
Revision ID: 0x0003

So what should I download or uninstall? I've been on dell.com, entered my service tag and downloaded the latest chipset but to no avail. I've checked out intel.com but all the possible downloads on that site confuses the heck outta me.:uhh:

Any suggestions/opinions/HELP? :yuck:

Thanks,
Cbear

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well the first problem is your running Windows (jk). What you should do is do a clean install of your video driver. First unisntall the driver and restart. Next goto start, tun, type regedit and press enter. From there goto file, export and export your registry to a space on your HDD. Now search for anything with driver name, or ATI?NVIDIA (not sure what type of card u have). Delete anything you find. Restart agian. Now download the latest drivers for the ATI/NVIDIA site and install. Restart computer and reset all you previous configurations. If this does not fix the problem, try defraging your HD. Good Luck.

uh. Majora, what the heck are you sayin? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I don't think your advice was completely sound or perhaps it was worded oddly.

cbear, it sounds like you're either having a driver problem or a hardware problem. To find out which is the case, you have to reinstall the driver.

First off, Don't go around deleting anything that says "driver name" or "ATI" or "NVidia". Don't uninstall your display driver without first lining up a replacement. It can be a bit difficult to browse around if you're stuck in 800x600 mode. Also, if you delete anything that has "driver" in it anywhere, guess what?! You're deleting random drivers! You could cause permanent corruption of your windows installation or at the very least, present yourself with a very irritating problem that could take a while to solve.

FIRST locate the driver! Try dell.com first for graphic card drivers (Search by what model computer you have, then look for the graphics card driver. You have a "Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express" video card). You might have to install a Dell version of the driver. (I know this because I cannot install any driver from the ATI website for my ATI x600 card in my laptop. I have to download the driver from Toshiba. pft! Oh well. If there isn't one at the Dell website, then try intel's website.

Only after you have located the correct driver do you uninstall your current one. If you need step by step instructions on how to do this, let me know. I'd have found the driver page for you, but my girlfriend just came over, and of course I don't really care to spend too much time on this forum as she waits for me. ;)

One more thing.. Defragging your hard drive regularly is a good thing, but I severely doubt it has anything to do with your problem (that was a pretty bizarre piece of advice majora, lol).

Last edited:
I am sorry BoredNL for the way I worded that, I was a bit tired so I don't know what was going through my mind, expecially the defragging part. But yes, you do want to have the new driver before you uninstal your current drivers. Also BoredNL uninstalling a video driver can not corrupt windows, as windows has a built in (defult) driver, and it is unlikely that anyone would remove that. But nonetheless, What BoredNL said was basically correct. Just be careful when you are uninstalling your drivers, and make sure that you fully uninstall it, before installing the new drivers.

lol, it's ok man. I didn't think you actually meant for him to delete all his drivers, I just thought cbear might read the part about deleting drivers and then go on a rampage deleting all his drivers from the windows folder because it could be read that way. (which would have been very bad)

Uninstalling a driver and deleting it are two different things.

Thank you for your input, btw. :)

1. What is Ialmdev5.DLL and why is it causing problems?

Ialmdev5.DLL is a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file that is associated with Intel Graphics Drivers. It is responsible for handling graphics-related tasks on your computer. If this file is missing or corrupted, it can cause various problems with your graphics and display.

2. How do I know if Ialmdev5.DLL is causing issues on my computer?

If you are experiencing graphics-related problems, such as error messages, freezing, or poor performance, it is possible that Ialmdev5.DLL is the culprit. You can check for errors related to this file in your Event Viewer or use a system diagnostic tool to identify potential issues.

3. Can I fix the problems caused by Ialmdev5.DLL?

Yes, it is possible to fix issues related to Ialmdev5.DLL. The most common solution is to update your Intel Graphics Drivers to the latest version. You can also try reinstalling the drivers or performing a system restore to a point before the problems started occurring.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with fixing Ialmdev5.DLL problems?

There is a minimal risk of encountering further issues while trying to fix Ialmdev5.DLL problems. However, it is always recommended to create a backup of your important files before making any changes to your system. Also, make sure to download drivers or updates from reliable sources to avoid malware or viruses.

5. Can I prevent future problems with Ialmdev5.DLL?

To prevent future problems with Ialmdev5.DLL, it is essential to keep your Intel Graphics Drivers up to date. You can also regularly scan your system for malware or viruses that may cause issues with this file. Additionally, avoid downloading or installing suspicious software from unknown sources to minimize the risk of encountering problems with this file.