Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ialmdev5.DLL - giving me much problems

1. Mar 2, 2007 #1
    ialmdev5.DLL - giving me much problems!!

Hey everyone,

I've been playin' the sims2 + expansions for a few years now and never had a problem. Recently, however, whenver I tried to save the game, I've been encountering the blue screen error noting that ialmdev.DLL is the driver that seems to be causing the freeze and "dump of physical memory."

Here's my comp info:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
    System Model: MXC051
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A02
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 2.00GHz
    Memory: 1016MB RAM
    Page File: 269MB used, 2173MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2592&SUBSYS_01B51028&REV_03
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: ialmrnt5.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4693 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/15/2006 17:09:00, 45694 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: ialmnt5.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 9/15/2006 17:16:48, 1173468 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-66D2-11CF-CD61-BF21A2C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x2592
    SubSys ID: 0x01B51028
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Revision ID: 0x0003

So what should I download or uninstall? I've been on dell.com, entered my service tag and downloaded the latest chipset but to no avail. I've checked out intel.com but all the possible downloads on that site confuses the heck outta me.:uhh:

Any suggestions/opinions/HELP? :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2
    Well the first problem is your running Windows (jk). What you should do is do a clean install of your video driver. First unisntall the driver and restart. Next goto start, tun, type regedit and press enter. From there goto file, export and export your registry to a space on your HDD. Now search for anything with driver name, or ATI?NVIDIA (not sure what type of card u have). Delete anything you find. Restart agian. Now download the latest drivers for the ATI/NVIDIA site and install. Restart computer and reset all you previous configurations. If this does not fix the problem, try defraging your HD. Good Luck.
  4. Apr 26, 2007 #3
    uh. Majora, what the heck are you sayin? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I don't think your advice was completely sound or perhaps it was worded oddly.

cbear, it sounds like you're either having a driver problem or a hardware problem. To find out which is the case, you have to reinstall the driver.

First off, Don't go around deleting anything that says "driver name" or "ATI" or "NVidia". Don't uninstall your display driver without first lining up a replacement. It can be a bit difficult to browse around if you're stuck in 800x600 mode. Also, if you delete anything that has "driver" in it anywhere, guess what?! You're deleting random drivers! You could cause permanent corruption of your windows installation or at the very least, present yourself with a very irritating problem that could take a while to solve.

FIRST locate the driver! Try dell.com first for graphic card drivers (Search by what model computer you have, then look for the graphics card driver. You have a "Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express" video card). You might have to install a Dell version of the driver. (I know this because I cannot install any driver from the ATI website for my ATI x600 card in my laptop. I have to download the driver from Toshiba. pft! Oh well. If there isn't one at the Dell website, then try intel's website.

Only after you have located the correct driver do you uninstall your current one. If you need step by step instructions on how to do this, let me know. I'd have found the driver page for you, but my girlfriend just came over, and of course I don't really care to spend too much time on this forum as she waits for me. ;)

One more thing.. Defragging your hard drive regularly is a good thing, but I severely doubt it has anything to do with your problem (that was a pretty bizarre piece of advice majora, lol).
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  5. Apr 30, 2007 #4
    I am sorry BoredNL for the way I worded that, I was a bit tired so I don't know what was going through my mind, expecially the defragging part. But yes, you do want to have the new driver before you uninstal your current drivers. Also BoredNL uninstalling a video driver can not corrupt windows, as windows has a built in (defult) driver, and it is unlikely that anyone would remove that. But nonetheless, What BoredNL said was basically correct. Just be careful when you are uninstalling your drivers, and make sure that you fully uninstall it, before installing the new drivers.
  6. May 2, 2007 #5
    lol, it's ok man. I didn't think you actually meant for him to delete all his drivers, I just thought cbear might read the part about deleting drivers and then go on a rampage deleting all his drivers from the windows folder because it could be read that way. (which would have been very bad)

Uninstalling a driver and deleting it are two different things.

Thank you for your input, btw. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?