Compressibility of Ice vs Water: Answers & Explanations

In summary, ice has a lower density than water and can be compressed. When enough force is applied, ice will turn into water due to its crystal structure breaking. However, the compressibility of ice in smaller forces is not as significant.
Neitrino
Dear PF,

Is ice compressible? What its compressibility... or compressibility relatively to water compressibility

Thanks much

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting property of ice is that it has a lower density than water which explains why it's so slippery, as you step on the ice the force compresses the crystal structure which breaks it and causes a thin film of water which has a very low coefficient of friction. So yes ice can be compressed but it won't be long until it's no longer ice.

OK as i understand I can compress ice till it complitely turns into water... if a have an ice cube and i exert force (big force) whole ice will turn into water... but what is its compressibility when my force is not that big to turn the ice cube into water ?

What is compressibility?

Compressibility is the measure of how easily a substance can be compressed or made to occupy a smaller volume under the application of external pressure.

Why is the compressibility of ice and water important?

The compressibility of ice and water is important because it affects the behavior and properties of these substances in various natural and industrial processes, such as in glaciers, sea ice, and hydraulic systems.

Is ice or water more compressible?

Water is more compressible than ice. This is because the molecules in ice are arranged in a more rigid and organized structure, making it harder to compress compared to the more fluid and loosely arranged molecules in water.

How does temperature affect the compressibility of ice and water?

As temperature decreases, the compressibility of both ice and water decreases. This is due to the decrease in molecular motion at lower temperatures, making it difficult for the molecules to move closer together and be compressed.

What is the relationship between pressure and compressibility of ice and water?

The relationship between pressure and compressibility of ice and water is inversely proportional. This means that as pressure increases, the compressibility decreases and vice versa. This is because as pressure is applied, the molecules are forced closer together, making it more difficult to compress them further.