How would you explain what compressed sensing is

In summary, compressive sensing is a way of recording a signal where the number of measurements you need depends not on the dimensionality of your signal, but only on the sparsity (i.e., approximate number of nonzero components). This is useful for signals that are highly compressible, like variations on the single pixel camera.
Niaboc67
Hello,
I would like to know your definition of what compressed sensing is. As well as its applications/uses. It's a subject I hear thrown around a bit but I have not received a complete answer on what the area/focus is? As well as the concept of sparsing (parsing?) and it's use with compressed sensing.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Compressive sensing is a way to record all the relevant information in a signal without having to exhaustively sample every component.

In particular, compressive sensing is a way of recording a signal where the number of measurements you need depends not on the dimensionality of your signal, but only on the sparsity (i.e., approximate number of nonzero components).

The idea is that each of these randomized measurements tells you a little bit about every component of your signal.

With enough of these randomized measurements, it turns out you can uniquely find your signal by solving a complex optimization problem. That you can do this was shown by Donoho, Candes, Romberg, and Tao in 2004 (some of them won the Fields Medal for this, I believe).

This optimization problem is "Out of all possible signals that would give me these measurement results, which is the sparsest?"
Depending on the sparsity of your original signal, your signal will be the unique solution to the optimization problem.

There is much more to this, of course, and I recommend the online lecture notes of Justin Romberg. If you want a nice example you can sink your teeth into, I would look at the single pixel camera (one of the first groundbreaking inventions due to compressive sensing).

oh, and its applications are for sensing signals that are highly compressible. Besides variations on the single pixel camera, I believe there's been some work on developing it for high resolution MRI scans, so that the same information can be recorded more quickly (especially when a patient needs to be sedated to stay still).

Rice University has a good website on compressive sensing too (at least as far as a list of resources go)
http://dsp.rice.edu/cs

The Howell Research Group at the University of Rochester (which I work in) also uses compressive sensing to perform high resolution measurements at very low light levels (using single photon counters), where regular techniques would just be impractical (because of the time it would take to record enough photons hitting tiny pixels)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is compressed sensing?

Compressed sensing is a signal processing technique that allows for accurate reconstruction of a signal using a relatively small amount of data. It is based on the idea that many signals have a sparse representation in some basis, meaning that most of the signal's energy is concentrated in a few coefficients.

2. How does compressed sensing work?

Compressed sensing works by taking a small number of measurements of a signal, instead of the traditional approach of taking a large number of measurements. These measurements are then used to reconstruct the signal using a mathematical algorithm.

3. What are the advantages of compressed sensing?

One of the main advantages of compressed sensing is its ability to accurately reconstruct signals using a small amount of data. This can be especially useful in applications where data storage and transmission is limited, such as in medical imaging or wireless communication. It also reduces the time and cost required for data acquisition.

4. Are there any limitations to compressed sensing?

While compressed sensing has many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is most effective when the signal is sparse or compressible, meaning it has a small number of significant coefficients. It also requires a high-quality measurement system and a well-designed reconstruction algorithm to achieve accurate results.

5. How is compressed sensing used in real-world applications?

Compressed sensing has a wide range of applications, including medical imaging, seismic data processing, image and video compression, and wireless communication. It has also been used in astronomy, biology, and neuroscience to reconstruct signals from limited data. In general, compressed sensing is beneficial in any application where data is scarce or expensive to acquire.