1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Filter - Windowed - DTFT/Highpass

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given:
    [itex]H_{dd}\left(e^{j\omega}\right)=j\omega e^{\frac{-j\omega}{2}}, \left|\omega\right|\le\pi[/itex]

Find: [itex]H_{3}\left(e^{j\omega}\right)[/itex] where
    [itex]H_{3}\left(e^{j\omega}\right)[/itex] is the spectrum of [itex] h_{dd}\left(n\right)\left(W_N\left(n\right)\right) [/itex] and [itex] W_N\left(n\right)=1 for \frac{-N}{2}\le n \le \frac{N}{2} , [/itex] 0 else

2. Relevant equations
    DTFT Synthesis: [itex] \frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} H\left(e^{j\omega}\right)e^{j\omega n}d\omega [/itex]
    [itex] DTFT Analysis: \sum_{n=\frac{-N}{2}}^{\frac{N}{2}} h(n)e^{-j\omega n} [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Step 1: Synthesis [itex]h_{dd}\left(n\right)[/itex]. This is done through integration by parts and my result is:

[itex] h_{dd}(n)=-sin\left(\pi\left(n-\frac{1}{2}\right)\right) [/itex]

Step 2: Window - ok. [itex] -\frac{N}{2}\le n \le \frac{N}{2} [/itex] is the new range.

Step 3: DTFT windowed function result:
    [itex] H_3\left(e^{j\omega}\right) = -\sum_{n=-N/2}^{N/2} \frac{sin\left(\pi n - \frac{\pi}{2}\right)}{\pi \left(n-1/2\right)^2}e^{-j\omega n} [/itex]

Really cool - but when plotted versus frequency, I get a constant, regardless of the size of N.
    The goal of this problem was to prove that as N--> big that the filter approaches the ideal high-pass differentiator. I must have made a mistake somewhere but I'm not sure where, if anyone could see if they receive a different result I would be much obliged. Thanks!

-DR

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2014 #2
    Found my mistake - it turns out that the above is actually correct and corresponds to Sum( (-1)^(n-1/2)/(denom) * e^-jwn).

There was an error in my MATLAB code (ridiculous error) where my for loop looked like:

for i=length(n)

instead of

for i=1:length(n)

hence the reason I was only getting one constant value... You think it's some important mistake in your math and it turns out to be a typo.

Oh well, Go Bears.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted