Ideas for a Project In Astrophysics

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get a few ideas about an Astronomy or Astrophysics project.
I am doing this project for the purpose of an Extended Essay in the IB Diploma Programme.
For those of you who don't know what means, it is basically a 4000 word essay on a scientific investigation

The thing with this is that can't be purely theory, it has to have some data analysis elements to it.

Please do help

Answers and Replies

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
What is your area of interest?

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Astronomy and Astrophysics
:) :)
Obviously. But anything more specific?
What interests you most?

Obviously. But anything more specific?
What interests you most?
Exoplanets and Interstellar Travel

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
Exoplanets
Then how about an essay about a community exoplanet search project:
https://www.planethunters.org/#/about
You can take a few angles with that, from focusing on the history of the search for exoplanets, to describing the transit technique in detail, to explaining the role of human brain in looking for patterns in the data.

Then how about an essay about a community exoplanet search project:
https://www.planethunters.org/#/about
You can take a few angles with that, from focusing on the history of the search for exoplanets, to describing the transit technique in detail, to explaining the role of human brain in looking for patterns in the data.
Err..
Actually sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, but this has to be a SCIENTIFIC investigation done on my own.
:) :)

Download some variable star data and write a program to determine the periodicity. I assume you don't have to find your own exoplanet, so choose something that you know has a transiting planet.

Hey guys,

I just wanted to get a few ideas about an Astronomy or Astrophysics project.
I am doing this project for the purpose of an Extended Essay in the IB Diploma Programme.
For those of you who don't know what means, it is basically a 4000 word essay on a scientific investigation

The thing with this is that can't be purely theory, it has to have some data analysis elements to it.

Please do help

Maybe you could make a research about antkythera