Ideas for a Project In Astrophysics

In summary: Antikythera MechanismSorry, but I'm not really getting any ideas from this?Astronomy and Astrophysics
IndianGeek234
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get a few ideas about an Astronomy or Astrophysics project.
I am doing this project for the purpose of an Extended Essay in the IB Diploma Programme.
For those of you who don't know what means, it is basically a 4000 word essay on a scientific investigation

The thing with this is that can't be purely theory, it has to have some data analysis elements to it.

Please do help

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your area of interest?

Bandersnatch said:
What is your area of interest?
Astronomy and Astrophysics
:) :)

Nik_2213 said:
Anything here catch your eye ?
http://www.recons.org/
Sorry, but I'm not really getting any ideas from this?

IndianGeek234 said:
Astronomy and Astrophysics
Obviously. But anything more specific?
What interests you most?

Bandersnatch said:
Obviously. But anything more specific?
What interests you most?
Exoplanets and Interstellar Travel

IndianGeek234 said:
Exoplanets
Then how about an essay about a community exoplanet search project:
https://www.planethunters.org/#/about
You can take a few angles with that, from focusing on the history of the search for exoplanets, to describing the transit technique in detail, to explaining the role of human brain in looking for patterns in the data.

Bandersnatch said:
Then how about an essay about a community exoplanet search project:
https://www.planethunters.org/#/about
You can take a few angles with that, from focusing on the history of the search for exoplanets, to describing the transit technique in detail, to explaining the role of human brain in looking for patterns in the data.

Err..
Actually sorry if I wasn't clear earlier, but this has to be a SCIENTIFIC investigation done on my own.

Download some variable star data and write a program to determine the periodicity. I assume you don't have to find your own exoplanet, so choose something that you know has a transiting planet.

IndianGeek234 said:
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get a few ideas about an Astronomy or Astrophysics project.
I am doing this project for the purpose of an Extended Essay in the IB Diploma Programme.
For those of you who don't know what means, it is basically a 4000 word essay on a scientific investigation

The thing with this is that can't be purely theory, it has to have some data analysis elements to it.

Please do help

Maybe you could make a research about antkythera

1. What are some potential project ideas in astrophysics?

Some potential project ideas in astrophysics include studying the formation and evolution of galaxies, investigating the properties of dark matter and dark energy, analyzing the composition and structure of exoplanets, and exploring the origins of the universe through cosmology.

2. How can I choose a project topic in astrophysics?

Choosing a project topic in astrophysics can be based on your interests, available resources, and current research trends. It is also helpful to consult with a mentor or advisor for guidance and to narrow down your options.

3. What are some important skills needed for a project in astrophysics?

Some important skills needed for a project in astrophysics include proficiency in mathematics and physics, data analysis and programming skills, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and the ability to work independently and in a team.

4. How can I conduct a project in astrophysics with limited resources?

There are many ways to conduct a project in astrophysics with limited resources. You can utilize open-source data and software, collaborate with other researchers, and make use of available equipment and facilities at your institution or local observatories.

5. How can I present my project findings in astrophysics?

Project findings in astrophysics can be presented through various mediums such as scientific papers, conference presentations, posters, and online platforms. It is important to effectively communicate your results and conclusions using clear and concise language, visual aids, and supporting evidence.