Ideas for a self-tilting mechanism

In summary: Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:In summary, the machine that is being described would use a powered tilting mechanism to move an object between two traction wheels before shooting it out. There are two possible mechanisms being considered - one where the wheels are powered and another where they are self-tilting. The angle of tilt of the wheels is small, at about +/- 1.5 deg from their “neutral” position. It is hoped that this machine could be used to create odd-shaped props for a stage performance.
Quark62
TL;DR Summary
Looking for ideas for a mechanism that would enable powered wheels to conform to the contour of an object
Hello,

I would like to ask for ideas for a tilting mechanism for a machine that shoots out odd-shaped objects.

These objects are quite large (about 50-100 kg each), are rolled around on castor wheels, and have slightly different contours.

Here’s a sketch of the machine and the object:

1600693162615.png

As of now, here is how the machine would work:

Method 1, using a powered tilting mechanism:

1.Prior to the placement of the object, the powered wheels would be tilted to an angle that would fit the contour of the object using some powered mechanism
2.The object will be moved in between the powered wheels.
3.The powered wheels will then rotate and the object will be shot out.
4.After the object leaves, the powered wheels would tilt back to their “neutral” position.
5. The above will be repeated for another object, which could have a slightly different contour.

Method 2, using a self-tilting mechanism:

1.The object will be forced in between the powered wheels. During the process, the powered wheels would automatically tilt to conform to the surface of the object, with the help of a "self-tilting" mechanism.
2.The object will then be shot out
3.After the object leaves, the powered wheels would tilt back to their “neutral” position.
4. The above will be repeated for another object, which could have a slightly different contour.

I expect the angle of tilt of the wheels to be small, at about +/- 1.5 deg from their “neutral” position.

Let me know if you have ideas for the tilting mechanism for either method!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd like a little more detail on this before trying to give an intelligent response:

What are all these odd-shaped objects? How different are they?
Where are they being shot out to? Anywhere?
How much do they mass?Here is a suggestion for a solution:
What if the traction wheels were on the bottom? All your odd-shaped objects presumably have a bottom.

Likes hutchphd
Use a round section like a motorcycle tyre.
Use low pressure with a large soft contact patch.

Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:
Quark62 said:
machine that shoots out odd-shaped objects
Quark62 said:
100 kg each
That's a pretty heavy object to be "shooting out". What acceleration and what velocity are you trying to achieve? Or do you really mean "pushing forward a meter or two" instead?

It sounds like a baseball pitching machine scaled up to shoot mining rail cars.

anorlunda said:
It sounds like a baseball pitching machine scaled up to shoot mining rail cars.
Reminds me of the Mentor party where you used your quad to launch us with the Human Slingshot. It was nice of @Evo to volunteer to go first! :cool:

• Haha
Likes Quark62, Evo and anorlunda
How are the wheels powered?
What are the required torque or pushing force, and angular speed of those wheels?
What is your idea about imposing enough friction or normal forces?

Quark62 said:
4.After the object leaves, the powered wheels would tilt back to their “neutral” position.
Explain why this step is necessary (i.e. why you include it as a given).

Why not simply have the wheels under tension with a spring that defaults them to a minimum separation, rather than a maximum separation?
  • The wheels are at minimum separation when there is no payload pushing through.
  • As a payload gets pushed through, this forces the traction wheels out, while providing an optimal tension on the payload.
  • Once the payload is shot out, of course the wheels snap back to closed position again.
Explain why this would not work.

Likes berkeman
DaveC426913 said:
I'd like a little more detail on this before trying to give an intelligent response:

What are all these odd-shaped objects? How different are they?
Where are they being shot out to? Anywhere?
How much do they mass?Here is a suggestion for a solution:
What if the traction wheels were on the bottom? All your odd-shaped objects presumably have a bottom.
Hi @DaveC426913, thanks for your thoughts :)

Here are some clarifications:

- these odd-shaped objects are actually some stage props that we'd like to use for a performance. They're mostly of the same shape, but with slight differences in the slope angle

- to clarify, "pushed out to a certain distance" as @berkeman has mentioned would be a more accurate description. We haven't decided on how fast they should be moved, and we'd like to figure out how much traction we can give the objects first, and how to design that tilting mechanism to deliver that traction

Lnewqban said:
How are the wheels powered?
What are the required torque or pushing force, and angular speed of those wheels?
What is your idea about imposing enough friction or normal forces?
As of now, we're thinking the wheels could be powered by some large electric motors, in a similar fashion as those baseball pitching machines.

Hmm yeah eventually we'd need to get down to making calculations involving torque to size those motors

Friction would definitely be a concern. I think @Baluncore's suggestion on using low pressure is good

Quark62 said:
- these odd-shaped objects are actually some stage props that we'd like to use for a performance. They're mostly of the same shape, but with slight differences in the slope angle
This sounds like a formula for disaster. Uncontrolled 50-100kg objects being fired out on stage like from a tennis ball gun. If you're lucky, you'll only injure performers, not audience members. :oops:

My advice - and my prediction - of the solution you will settle on: manual labour.

Likes anorlunda
DaveC426913 said:
This sounds like a formula for disaster. Uncontrolled 50-100kg objects being fired out on stage like from a tennis ball gun. If you're lucky, you'll only injure performers, not audience members. :oops:

My advice - and my prediction - of the solution you will settle on: manual labour.
Yep we'll make sure to control for a slow and safer speed.

Manual labour is definitely an option, but we'll like to see if we can automate it.

Hmm I'm thinking of a car suspension like system. The reason why we'd like for the wheels to return to a "neutral" position is so that they'd be ready to accept the next payload

I agree with @DaveC426913 . In fact, I'm reminded of the famous last words from WKRP

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." :smile:

• Haha
Likes DaveC426913 and berkeman
Quark62 said:
As of now, we're thinking the wheels could be powered by some large electric motors, in a similar fashion as those baseball pitching machines.

Hmm yeah eventually we'd need to get down to making calculations involving torque to size those motors

This is going at backwards. The right way:

1) Define what you are pushing out.
How large - smallest and largest.
How heavy - lightest and heaviest.
How strong - can they be gripped between wheels without getting squashed?
2) Define how hard they need to be pushed.
Are they sliding across the floor, or rolling on wheels?
How far?
Do they skid to a stop? Or getting stopped somehow?
3) What is the rate?
One object every few minutes?
Multiple objects per second?
Somewhere in between?
4) What are the timing requirements? Does each object have to be pushed out exactly at a certain time...
Plus or minus a millisecond?
Somebody saying "OK, go!"
Somewhere in between?
5) At least one more question that I did not think of.

THEN we can actually help you.

Likes russ_watters, hutchphd, Lnewqban and 1 other person
What @jrmichler said engineers call "requirements before design".

Requirements say what you need to accomplish.
Design says how you plan to do what's required.

You OP with the wheels, is saying how without first saying what.

jrmichler said:
This is going at backwards. The right way:

1) Define what you are pushing out.
How large - smallest and largest.
How heavy - lightest and heaviest.
How strong - can they be gripped between wheels without getting squashed?
2) Define how hard they need to be pushed.
Are they sliding across the floor, or rolling on wheels?
How far?
Do they skid to a stop? Or getting stopped somehow?
3) What is the rate?
One object every few minutes?
Multiple objects per second?
Somewhere in between?
4) What are the timing requirements? Does each object have to be pushed out exactly at a certain time...
Plus or minus a millisecond?
Somebody saying "OK, go!"
Somewhere in between?
5) At least one more question that I did not think of.

THEN we can actually help you.
He is not asking for calculations, he is asking for a mechanical mechanism. So no those answers are not needed.

I am thinking that a solution is a second set of wheels that is freewheeling and on the same frame as the rotating wheels So the first set of wheels are used to align the second set of rotating "launching wheels" before the object reaches it. And then the joint can be spring loaded to get back to neutral position.

Stormer said:
He is not asking for calculations, he is asking for a mechanical mechanism. So no those answers are not needed.
Why do you try to censor others suggestions?

What gives you such confidence that you have the only correct interpretation of the thread?

Do you really believe you can read the OPs mind?

Likes berkeman

1. What is a self-tilting mechanism?

A self-tilting mechanism is a device or system that allows an object to automatically tilt or adjust its position without the need for external assistance. It uses various mechanisms such as springs, counterweights, or sensors to maintain balance and stability.

2. How does a self-tilting mechanism work?

The specific workings of a self-tilting mechanism can vary depending on its design and purpose. However, most mechanisms use a combination of gravity, counterweights, and/or sensors to detect and respond to changes in the object's position, causing it to tilt or adjust accordingly.

3. What are some potential applications for a self-tilting mechanism?

A self-tilting mechanism can be used in a variety of applications, such as stabilizing cameras or drones, adjusting the angle of solar panels for maximum efficiency, or even in self-balancing vehicles like segways or hoverboards.

4. Are there any limitations to using a self-tilting mechanism?

Like any technology, there are limitations to using a self-tilting mechanism. These can include cost, complexity, and potential failure if not properly maintained. Additionally, the mechanism may not be able to adjust to extreme or sudden changes in position or weight distribution.

5. How can I design my own self-tilting mechanism?

Designing a self-tilting mechanism requires a good understanding of mechanical engineering principles and a thorough analysis of the intended application. It is recommended to consult with experts and conduct thorough testing and prototyping before implementing the mechanism in a real-world setting.