Ideas for Physics project? IB IA on Astronomy

In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's search for a topic for their IB course in physics Internal Assessment. They mention the main objective of the IA and how they would like to do something related to Astronomy, using their country-side home as an advantage. They ask for suggestions on a feasible and worthwhile project related to Astronomy.
Diego Fernandez
Good day :smile:

For quite some time now, I've been thinking about what I should make my Internal Assessment for the IB course in physics on. The main objective of the IA is to find and prove a mathematical relationship between an independent and dependent variable. A very, very, simple example would be the mathematical relationship established by the Body Mass Index (BMI), which describes the proportion between height and mass I believe. Since I plan on studying Astrophysics in university, I would love to do something Astronomy related, but I'm dry on ideas that are actually possible. I have a country-side home which is relatively close to me, where the stars can be seen almost perfectly every night, so it would be wise to use that in my advantage. I could easily make frequent trips there to work on my project.

What could I possibly do? Nothing too complicated that would require tools too difficult to obtain, but something well-worth working on. What kind of measurable (for almost anyone) mathematical relationship can be seen in the stars?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Diego

I have asked for this to be moved to academic guidance sectioncheers
Dave

1. What are some potential ideas for an IB IA on Astronomy?

Some potential ideas for an IB IA on Astronomy could include exploring the effects of gravity on planetary motion, investigating the properties of different types of stars, or analyzing the formation and evolution of galaxies.

2. How can I use physics principles in an astronomy project?

Physics principles can be applied to astronomy projects by using them to explain and predict astronomical phenomena. This can include using equations to calculate orbits, analyzing the behavior of light and radiation, or studying the properties of celestial bodies.

3. Can I incorporate technology into my physics project on astronomy?

Yes, technology can be a great tool for studying astronomy. You could use telescopes, spectroscopes, or computer simulations to collect and analyze data for your project.

4. What are some considerations to keep in mind when choosing an astronomy project for my IB IA?

When choosing an astronomy project for your IB IA, consider the availability of resources, the level of difficulty, and the potential for original research. It is also important to make sure your project aligns with the IB IA criteria and includes a clear research question and methodology.

5. How can I make my astronomy project stand out?

To make your astronomy project stand out, you could incorporate interdisciplinary approaches, such as combining physics principles with concepts from other subjects like mathematics or computer science. You could also consider incorporating real-world applications or current events into your project to demonstrate the relevance and importance of your research.