Ideas for simple programs to write in Python please

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to improve their programming skills and their current experience in creating a definite integral calculator. They also ask for suggestions for programs that would be suitable for their skill level. Two important skills for scientific use of python are mentioned, including reading and writing data files and creating graphs with matplotlib. The conversation also mentions two websites that offer fun and challenging exercises for programmers: ProjectEuler.net and PythonChallenge.com.
ecneicS
I currently have little experience in programming and would like to improve my skills. The most complex program I've made so far has been a definite integral calculator that uses either right handed or left handed riemann sums to approximate the definite integral (although it fails to be accurate where functions tend off to infinite). I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for some programs that are around my skill level. Thanks!

Technology news on Phys.org
I will just list two very important skills to have for any sort of scientific use of python:

Write a program that can read in data from a file and do some operation with it, and print it out to a file. (very useful skill!)

Get matplotlib and make pretty graphs with Python

you could look up the "huffman tree algorithm" and write a file compressor program for relatively small programs. I did this as an assignment for one of my classes with python, it was fun.

ProjectEruler.net ?

flemmyd said:
ProjectEruler.net ?
I put that in my address bar and nothing came up. What is it?

projecteuler can be fun, but this is awesome: http://www.pythonchallenge.com ! ( the project euler link reminded me of this site, it gets progressively harder )
there's a harder version out there somewhere, that is less dependent on using python specifically ( for example, one exercise in pythonchallenge.com requires you to know about the Ord() function in python ), but I don't remember the name :(

1. What are some simple programs that I can write in Python?

There are a variety of simple programs that can be written in Python, such as a calculator, a guessing game, a to-do list, a weather app, and a text-based adventure game.

2. How can I come up with ideas for programs to write in Python?

One way to come up with ideas for programs is to think about everyday tasks or problems that can be solved with a computer. You can also browse online resources for inspiration or try to recreate popular apps or games.

3. Do I need to have advanced coding skills to create a simple program in Python?

No, you do not need advanced coding skills to create a simple program in Python. With basic knowledge of the language and some practice, you can easily write simple programs.

4. Can I create a program in Python that interacts with external devices or systems?

Yes, Python has libraries and modules that allow you to interact with external devices and systems, such as sensors, cameras, and databases. This opens up endless possibilities for creating unique and useful programs.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific goal or purpose in mind before writing a program in Python?

It is not necessary to have a specific goal or purpose in mind before writing a program in Python. Sometimes, starting with a simple idea or concept can lead to unexpected and interesting results. However, having a clear goal can help guide your coding process and make it more efficient.