1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Idempotency (Boolean Algebra Theorem)

1. May 27, 2013 #1

JJBladester

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The idempotency theorem X∙X=X is defined for one variable, but does it apply to logic expressions with multiple variables?

Example:
    ABC∙ABC = ABC

Is this valid?

2. Relevant equations

Switching algebra single-variable theorems:

X+X = X
    X∙X = X

3. The attempt at a solution

My book gives single-variable and general theorems in its switching algebra section. The single-variable theorem is listed above. The general idempotency theorems are:

X+...+X = X
    X∙X...∙X = X

However, it says nothing about whether or not the expression ABC∙ABC = ABC can be made.

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi JJBladester. The dot is AND, I presume? Could you draw a truth table to test whether A.B.C = ❲A.B.C❳.❲A.B.C❳

4. May 28, 2013 #3

JJBladester

Gold Member

Idempotency (Multiple Variables)

I use the middle dot for AND and the plus symbol for OR. Some authors use the ampersand symbol or even a period to mean AND.

I've drawn the truth table below and it appears that idempotency is valid for multi-variable terms because F3=F1&F2. Am I correct?

idempotency.jpg

My professor claims that "the theorem is for single input and single output logic" but I don't know if that's correct because of my table above...

5. May 28, 2013 #4
    You know that [itex]X \land X = X[/itex] is true, so why not just let [itex]X = A \land B \land C[/itex]?

6. May 28, 2013 #5

JJBladester

Gold Member

I believe what you suggested is valid. This is why I am utterly confused why my professor said that the idempotency theorem is "for single input and single output logic".

I could also re-write the original expression as:

(A∙B∙C)∙(A∙B∙C)=(A∙A)(B∙B)∙(C∙C)=A∙B∙C

Which uses the associativity theorem and then applies the idempotency theorem to single variables.

My book says "In all of the [switching algebra] theorems, it is possible to replace each variable with an arbitrary logic expression" which seems to back up what you said (let X = A∙B∙C).

7. May 28, 2013 #6
    Your theorem states that [itex]X \land X = X[/itex] is true for any X, where X is a variable that has a truth value. [itex]A \land B \land C[/itex] has a truth value so it follows that [itex](A \land B \land C) \land (A \land B \land C) = A \land B \land C[/itex].

8. May 29, 2013 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It looks like you have it all figured out.

9. May 29, 2013 #8

JJBladester

Gold Member

Yep!

Yep, thanks to you and miles. You've helped me on various things in the past. As I work my way through my degree I am always pleasantly surprised at the helpfulness of PF members.

10. May 29, 2013 #9
    I'm not entirely sure what your professor meant, but you were critical and did good work in proving what you thought to be true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted