Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identical bosons vs. fermions in square potential well

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    The following Wolfram web page shows the probability density functions for two identical bosons in a square potential well. It also shows the probability density for two identical fermions.

So it appears that each is just a 90 degree rotation of the other. That doesn't seem correct. If Bosons can share the same state, shouldn't their lowest state just be a single blob in the middle (per the ground state for a single particle)? I know that quantum mechanics is very non-intuitive, so I'm probably missing something. Please help to explain this. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

The sliders at the top tell you the individual states. The starting point is one particle in the ground state (n=1) and one in the first excited state (n=2). For fermions, antisymmetrizing these does give the ground state, but for bosons, you would need n=1 for both, which would give a single blob in the middle.
  4. Dec 18, 2008 #3
    Ah I see. Thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?