Identify unknown compound/element

• Thread starter esprits300
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for a cost-effective way to identify unknown substances using spectroscopy, specifically a UV/vis spectrophotometer. They have a limited budget of around $1000 and have considered using expensive software or reaching out to someone with more knowledge on the subject. However, it is mentioned that identifying compounds by their UV-vis spectra is not a reliable method and other techniques such as mass spectrometry, powder x-ray diffraction, NMR, IR spectroscopy, and physical data may be more suitable.
esprits300
Hello, i have a need to identify unknown substances. I've been researching spectroscopy and and the various methods. I've read all about the different types and uses and I've settled on a uv/vis spectrophotometer as the instrument. i know its not 100% used for qualitative analysis but its good enough for my needs. my main question is, so i get a spectra output but id like to compare it to known substances to see what i have. I've seen tons of EXPENSIVE software to do this but I'm wondering if there is some open source or simpler way to do this. my budget is VERY limited, around a grand but i wanted to reach out and see what someone who knows more about spectroscopies thoughts are. I'm not a chemist, i have some knowledge but I'm motivated to learn. is this biting off too much or or is there something available that i just don't know about that can assist me in interpreting the data in simple way? thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thank you for the info. i have not researched that particular method. I did some quick digging, it appears it is way out of my price range for equipment, although does seem to be a great fit. I guess that's why i keep coming back to uv/vis spectrophotometer (the price). So circling back, any other ideas or known software packages that aren't terribly expensive? where I'm having the issue is once you get a good output from the spectrophotometer, how can i tell what the substance is made of? after researching quite a bit, most spectrophotometers have software that allows analysis. i just don't know if those exist in open source or inexpensive (grand or so) range. i realize the complexity of what I'm asking, I'm trying to see if this is something that can be made very simple and accurate for say 75% of tests. i know it won't hit all of them. from the options available its either find some software to do what I'm looking for or abandon the whole setup altogether (which is what its sounding like). thank you again!

Identifying compounds by their UV-vis spectra is not a good way of identifying compounds, in general. What sorts of compounds are you trying to identify? In general, mass spectrometry is what I would look to as a first solution.

You need to know what kind of compound it may be. UV-VIS only works for a special group of substances, namely molecules that contain electrons that are excited exactly by a photon in the UV-VIS energy range. The same is true for most other analytical methods, though there are universal methods.

Best way to minimize cost is to pick a method that is exactly suitable to the type of compound and the type of sample.

Is your sample pure?
It doesn't help that you don't even tell if it is a gas, a solid or a liquid.

What kind of compound are you trying to identify? Mass spec might be good for inorganic molecular complexes, powder x-ray diffraction works extremely well for crystalline solids, NMR and/or IR spectroscopy works well for organics. For $1000 I would not try to buy an instrument, you need to spend well over that for a quality instrument, even for a UV/vis.

As far as interpretation goes, there are many tables available online that list known absorbances in the UV/visible region, which is how you would need to go about analysis.

That said, your best bet would be to send you samples off to a lab for analysis considering your budget.

Need more info. Are they organic or inorganic. Are they basic or acidic? Have you tested for presence of halogens? Functional group analysis? UV-vis is not a great way to identify unknown compounds. If organic, proton or carbon 13 NMR in conjunction with FTIR and MS will get you close. What about physical data? BP, MP, refractive index, density, etc. these are all things you should know to identify a compound. XRF and AA will help with the inorganics. Hopes this helps.

1. What is the process for identifying an unknown compound/element?

The process for identifying an unknown compound or element involves several steps. First, the physical properties of the compound or element are observed, such as color, state of matter, melting point, and boiling point. Then, various chemical tests are performed to determine the compound's reactivity and composition. Finally, advanced techniques like spectroscopy and chromatography may be used to analyze the compound's molecular structure and determine its identity.

2. What are some common chemical tests used to identify an unknown compound/element?

Some common chemical tests used to identify an unknown compound or element include flame tests, reactivity tests with acids and bases, solubility tests, and precipitation reactions. These tests can provide clues about the compound's composition and properties, which can help narrow down its identity.

3. How does spectroscopy help in identifying unknown compounds/elements?

Spectroscopy is a technique that uses light to analyze the chemical and physical properties of a substance. By passing light through a sample, scientists can determine its absorption, emission, or scattering patterns, which can provide information about the compound's molecular structure and functional groups. This information can be compared to databases of known compounds to help identify the unknown substance.

4. What are some challenges in identifying unknown compounds/elements?

Identifying unknown compounds or elements can be challenging because there are thousands of known substances, and new ones are constantly being discovered. Some compounds may have similar physical and chemical properties, making it difficult to differentiate between them. Additionally, some compounds may not react as expected in certain tests, further complicating the identification process.

5. How important is proper labeling and documentation in identifying unknown compounds/elements?

Proper labeling and documentation are crucial in identifying unknown compounds or elements. Without accurate and detailed records of the sample's physical properties, source, and any previous tests performed, it can be challenging to determine its identity. Inaccurate or incomplete labeling can also lead to incorrect conclusions and wasted time and resources in the identification process.