Identifying a Molecule - C8H8N4O2

  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Molecule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 4K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,698
Reaction score
9,103
Just saw a molecule on TV. It was a tattoo. Want to identify it.


C8H8N4O2

Is there a way of researching it?

Or I guess I can just give up and ask...
 
Attachments
  • molecule.gif
    molecule.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Update: it is extremely close to caffeine.
 
Update update:

It's chocolate.

I am astonished that an hour of searching online never once turned that up. Incredible.

My wife found it in three minutes.
 
Of general interest for future use: ChemSpider is a free chemical database that you can search a number of different ways (structure, formula, common names, and so on).

In particular - I searched for this particular compound (which is, as Ygggdrasil notes, is probably meant to be theobromine) - wasn't able to find an exact match (and the skeleton match was taking forever. Or the window just timed out and didn't update me).
 
Yes. The "chocolate molecule". It was on a desserts cooking show.