Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying singularities of f and classifying them

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    Hi guys, just wanting to know if I'm doing this right. [tex] f(z) = \frac{z}{(z^2 + 4) (z^2+1/4)} [/tex]
    Singularities of f(z) are when [tex] (z^2 + 4), (z^2 + 1/4) = 0 [/tex]

In this case, the singularities are [tex] \pm2i , \pm\frac{i}{2} [/tex]

Lets call these singularities [itex] s [/itex] and [itex] s [/itex] is a simple pole if [itex] \lim_{z \to s} \frac{z}{(z^2 + 4) (z^2+1/4)} [/itex] exists.

I got all these singularities to be simple poles, correct or incorrect?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

A simple pole is a pole of order one which means it appears in the laurent expansion as [itex] (z-z_0)^{-1} [/itex]
    For your functions:

[itex]
    f(z)=\frac{z}{(z+2i)(z-2i)(z+\frac{i}{2})(z-\frac{i}{2})}=\frac{2}{15}[-\frac{1}{z+2i}-\frac{1}{z-2i}+\frac{1}{z+\frac{i}{2}}+\frac{1}{z-\frac{i}{2}}]
    [/itex]

Where I have used the method of partial fractions.

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    Thanks, but on my course we don't use any sort of expansions so I'm having difficulty understanding what the expansion actually tells me, I just wanted to know if those singularities I have are just simple poles or poles of higher order.

5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your definition of a simple pole is incorrect. A pole s of f(z) called removable if
    [tex] \lim_{z \to s} f(z) [/tex]
    exists, and it is a simple pole if
    [tex] \lim_{x\to s} (z-s) f(z) [/tex]
    exists and is not equal to zero (if it was zero then you would have a removable singularity).

You can easily check by just canceling the numerator and denominator of the simple pole limit that the poles you have are simple

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook