Identifying the name of a theorem

• Thread starter nuuskur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the Heine criterion, also known as the sequential criterion for limits, states that A is a limit of a function f as x approaches a if and only if for every sequence (x_n) converging to a such that x_n\neq a, their respective function f values converge to A. This theorem is commonly used in the study of metric spaces and is referred to as the Heine criterion in lectures, although it may be known by different names in other sources. This may be due to conflicts in terminology, such as the Kuratowski-Zorn lemma being referred to as Zorn's lemma in most sources.
nuuskur
Science Advisor
I can't find sufficient material for this theorem in my own languages so I have to resort to English, however, googling "Heine criterion" yields nothing significant so I think, once again I just can't get its English name right.

Limit of a function: Heine criterion:
Given [itex]f\colon D\to\mathbb{R}, \lim\limits_{x\to a} f = A\Leftrightarrow \forall (x_n)\to a\colon x_n\neq a \Rightarrow f(x_n)\to A[/itex]
In words: A is a limit of f as x approaches a if and only if for every sequence [itex](x_n)[/itex] converging to a such that [itex]x_n\neq a[/itex] their respective function f values converge to A.

EDIT: tiny error correction

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
In our lectures it's specifically referred to as the Heine criterion, I just find it odd that googling this yields no result. A bit similar when I tried to look up a lemma given in our lectures as "Kuratowski-Zorn lemma", in most sources I just found it as "Zorn's lemma" which is curious.. 1st and 2nd world conflicts from the "good" ol' days?

Assuming you mean 5.1.15 in the notes, then yes, it does look the same. Thanks, I now know what to look for.

Last edited:
Sequential criterion for limits.

Likes nuuskur

The theorem you are referring to is known as the Heine criterion for the limit of a function. It states that the limit of a function exists at a point if and only if the function approaches the same value for every sequence approaching that point. This criterion is a useful tool in analyzing the behavior of functions and determining their limits. While it may be difficult to find information on this theorem in your native language, there is a wealth of resources available in English that can help you understand and utilize this important concept in mathematics.

1. What is a theorem?

A theorem is a statement or proposition that has been proven to be true through a logical and mathematical process. It is an important concept in mathematics and science, as it allows for the establishment of universal truths and helps to explain various phenomena.

2. How are theorems named?

Theorems are typically named after the mathematician or scientist who first discovered or proved them. In some cases, they may be named after a concept or principle that the theorem demonstrates.

3. What is the purpose of naming a theorem?

Naming a theorem allows for easy identification and reference to a specific concept or principle. It also gives credit to the mathematician or scientist who first discovered or proved the theorem.

4. How can I identify the name of a theorem?

The best way to identify the name of a theorem is to research the concept or principle that it demonstrates and see if it has a commonly accepted name. You can also consult with other mathematicians or scientists in the field.

5. Are there any standard conventions for naming theorems?

There are no strict rules or conventions for naming theorems, but they are often named after the person who first discovered or proved them, or after a key concept or principle that they demonstrate. In some cases, the name may also be chosen for its simplicity or memorability.