Lusin's Theorem - Infinite Measure and not Real-Valued Extensions

In summary, Lusin's Theorem states that for a real-valued measurable function on a set $E$, there exists a continuous function on the real line and a closed set contained in $E$ such that the two functions are equal on the closed set and the measure of the difference between the set and its complement is less than any given epsilon. The theorem also has extensions for when $E$ has infinite measure and when $f$ is not necessarily real-valued. A proof for the first extension is provided, but the proof for the second extension is still being worked on. It is important to note that the second extension is referring to the extended real line, not complex numbers.
joypav
Lusin's Theorem: Let $f$ be a real-valued measurable function on $E$. Then for each $\epsilon > 0$, there is a continuous function $g$ on $R$ and a closed set $F$ contained in $E$ for which $f=g$ on $F$ and $m(E - F)<\epsilon$.

I'm going through exercises in the book... almost finals time. The proof for Lusin's Theorem is in the book and I have made sure I understand it. However, I am having trouble with the extensions of the theorem. I have written a proof for when $E$ has infinite measure, but I'm not sure how to approach the extension when $f$ is not necessarily real-valued.

Prove the extension of Lusin's Theorem to the case that $E$ has infinite measure and the case where $f$ is not necessarily real-valued. (Exercise in Royden)

Proof for infinite measure:
Let $f$ be a real-valued measurable function on $E$.
Let,
$E_n = E \cap [n, n+1)$
Then for $m \neq n, E_n \cap E_m = \emptyset$
Each $E_n$ has finite measure. (From a homework problem I did previously in the semester)

Apply Lusin's Theorem.

$\exists F_n$ closed, $g_n : F_n \rightarrow R$ continuous such that $m(E - F_n) < \frac{\epsilon}{2^{n+1}}$, and $g_n = f$ on $F_n$.
Let,
$F = \cup_{n \in \Bbb{N}} F_n$ and $g(x) = \sum_{n \in \Bbb{N}} g_n(x) \chi_{F_n}(x)$
Then $g$ is continuous when restricted to $F$.

Consider the sequence $(x_n) \subset F$ such that $x_n \rightarrow x, x \in E$.
Since $x \in E_n$, some $n$,
$\implies \exists N \in \Bbb{N}$ such that $(x_n)_{n \geq N} \subset F_{n-1} \cup F_n$. ($F_{n-1} \cup F_n$ closed)
$\implies x \in F_{n-1} \cup F_n \subset F$
$\implies F$ closed.

Now, extend $g$ continuously to $R \implies g=f$ on $F$.
(I know I can extend $g$ by a previous exercise in this section.)
$m(E - F) = m(\cup_{n \in \Bbb{N}} E_n - F_n) = \sum_{n \in \Bbb{N}} m(E_n - F_n) < \epsilon$I would appreciate feedback on this proof and help with the not necessarily real-valued extensions!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not yet made progress on the second proof... (f not necessarily real-valued), but I asked my professor about it and he informed me that I am not supposed to be thinking about complex numbers. What this question is referring to is the extended real line.

Thanks!

Your proof for the extension to infinite measure looks good. For the case where $f$ is not necessarily real-valued, we can still use a similar approach.

Let $f$ be a measurable function on $E$, which may take values in $\mathbb{R}$ or $\mathbb{C}$.
We can write $f$ as $f = f_1 + if_2$, where $f_1$ and $f_2$ are real-valued functions.
Apply Lusin's Theorem to $f_1$ and $f_2$ separately, with $\frac{\epsilon}{2}$ instead of $\epsilon$.
We get continuous functions $g_1$ and $g_2$ on $R$ and closed sets $F_1$ and $F_2$ contained in $E$ such that $f_1 = g_1$ on $F_1$ and $f_2 = g_2$ on $F_2$, and $m(E - F_1) < \frac{\epsilon}{2}$ and $m(E - F_2) < \frac{\epsilon}{2}$.

Define $g(x) = g_1(x) + ig_2(x)$ for $x \in F_1 \cap F_2$.
Then $g$ is continuous on $F_1 \cap F_2$.
Now, for $x \in E - (F_1 \cap F_2)$, we can choose a sequence $(x_n) \subset F_1 \cap F_2$ such that $x_n \rightarrow x$.
Then, $g(x_n) = g_1(x_n) + ig_2(x_n) \rightarrow f_1(x) + if_2(x) = f(x)$.
Thus, $g(x) = f(x)$ for $x \in E - (F_1 \cap F_2)$.

Finally, let $F = F_1 \cap F_2$.
Then $F$ is closed, and $g = f$ on $F$.
Also, $m(E - F) \leq m(E - F_1) + m(E - F_2) < \epsilon$.

I hope this helps!

1. What is Lusin's Theorem?

Lusin's Theorem is a mathematical theorem in measure theory that provides a way to construct a function with certain properties using a given function. It is often used to prove the existence of a function with certain properties that cannot be directly constructed.

2. What is an infinite measure?

An infinite measure is a concept in measure theory where a measure takes on an infinite value. This can occur when the measure is defined on an unbounded set or when the set is too large to be measured with a finite value.

3. How is Lusin's Theorem related to infinite measure?

Lusin's Theorem can be used to construct a function with certain properties on a set with infinite measure. It provides a way to construct a function that is measurable and has certain continuity properties on a set that is too large to be measured with a finite value.

4. What are real-valued extensions?

A real-valued extension is a way to extend a function defined on a subset of the real numbers to a larger set of real numbers. This allows a function to be defined on a larger domain while still maintaining the same properties as the original function.

5. How is Lusin's Theorem used in real-valued extensions?

Lusin's Theorem is often used in real-valued extensions to prove the existence of a function with certain properties on a larger domain. It provides a way to construct a function that is measurable and has certain continuity properties on a larger set, thus extending the original function to a larger domain.