1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Identifying the slope of a line

1. Apr 20, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    identifying the slope of the line?

upload_2016-4-20_12-45-28.png

2. Relevant equations
    y2-y1/x2-x1

3. The attempt at a solution
    i chose two points on the line, the first point is (8,-3) and the second point is (-6,4). Are these points accurate?
    i used the slope equation to solve for the slope of the line from the graph:
    4-(-3) / -6-8 = -7/14 = -1/2

is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well done. One tip: use brackets -- not 4-(-3) / -6-8 but ( 4-(-3) ) / ( -6-8 )

4. Apr 20, 2016 #3
    can the answer also be 7/-14 and 1/-2

5. Apr 20, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you wrote means ##y_2 - \frac{y_1}{x_2} - x_2##, which is not correct. Did you mean ##\frac{y_2 - y_1}{x_2 - x_1}##? If so, you need to use parentheses, like this: (y2-y1)/(x2-x1).

6. Apr 20, 2016 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Both of these are the same value as ##-{1\over 2}##, which is the simplest way to express that value. Whatever points you choose, you always get ## - {a\over 2a}## as a result.

7. Apr 20, 2016 #6
    got it, thanks!

8. Apr 20, 2016 #7
    its a straight line ,so where lies the confusion about its being wrong?

9. Apr 20, 2016 #8
    i solved this question previously and got a different slope compared to what I'm getting now. Then i realized that my points were wrong when doing it the first time, so i wanted to make sure the points i chose were correct in my second attempt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted