Identity involving the vectors for position, velocity and aceleration

In summary: I need to find the vector direction, and the scalar product won't do that.Expand the triple cross product. Look up the relevant identity for that and start taking derivatives.
fer Mnaj
Homework Statement
If r and v are both explicit functions of time, show that:
d/dt [r × (v × r)] = r´^2a + (r · v)v − (v^2 + r · a)r (All of them are vectors)
Relevant Equations
v=dr/dt a=dv/dt
any tip to start?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand the triple cross product. Look up the relevant identity for that and start taking derivatives.

What happens when I've got the derivative of aceleration? and how can I plug in the dot product?? what did you mean when you say relevant identity?So far
86970379_191508695553879_6231764772153458688_n.jpg

fer Mnaj said:
What happens when I've got the derivative of aceleration? and how can I plug in the dot product?? what did you mean when you say relevant identity?

It is not possible to get the time derivative of the acceleration when you take the first derivative of
r x (v x r).
Do some web research on "vector triple product". There is an identity that allows you write what you have in terms of scalar products. It's otherwise known as the BAC-CAB rule. That's what I mean by relevant identity.

i checked it,thanks, but don't know if i did wrong when I canceled r· v because they were orthogonals, I just got the first part of the proof
86460530_133061891286043_8277937477444960256_n.jpg

fer Mnaj said:
i checked it,thanks, but don't know if i did wrong when I canceled r· v because they were orthogonals,
##\vec r## and ##\vec v## are not orthogonal in general.

fer Mnaj said:
Homework Statement:: If r and v are both explicit functions of time, show that:
d/dt [r × (v × r)] = r´^2a + (r · v)v − (v^2 + r · a)r (All of them are vectors)
Relevant Equations:: v=dr/dt a=dv/dt

any tip to start?

Another way to tackle questions with the cross product is do each component separately. In this case:
$$(\vec r \times (\vec v \times \vec r))_x = y(\vec v \times \vec r)_z - z(\vec v \times \vec r)_y$$
Then you can expand the RHS again, take its derivative and show that it is equal to the ##x## component of that complicated expression involving ##\vec a, \vec v## and ##\vec r##.

In general, if the identity holds for the x-component then, by symmetry, it must hold for the y and z components as well. So, generally, you only need to show the identify for the x-component and you are done.

so far, now it looks more like the expresion I want to get. But what can I do with (r· v)r. Have I done something wrong? At the end it should be (v2+r· a)r, instead of what I've got (v2+r· a)v
86457902_1370225156512699_3494616959482331136_n.jpg

You need to check your differentiation of ##r^2 = \vec r \cdot \vec r##.

whats wrong? the derivative of r2 =2r+dr/dt

The derivative of r2 is 2r(dr/dt).

fer Mnaj said:
whats wrong? the derivative of r2 =2r+dr/dt
I'm not sure what that is, but it's simpler to treat it as a dot product.

kuruman said:
The derivative of r2 is 2r(dr/dt).

Yes, but ##\frac{dr}{dt}## is more complicated than ##\frac{dr^2}{dt}## was in the first place!

ók... now what should I do?

fer Mnaj said:
ók... now what should I do?
Fix the differentiation of ##r^2##.

besides that

PeroK said:
Yes, but ##\frac{dr}{dt}## is more complicated than ##\frac{dr^2}{dt}## was in the first place!
I guess in this case going the ##\vec{r} \cdot \vec r## route is better.

fer Mnaj said:
besides that
Just keep things expressed as dot products and differentiate them all.

how can I differentiate d/dt ((v2+r⋅ a)r)? I did it as a product but that gets the derivative of aceleration and I don't feel its that way

Part of ##\dfrac{d}{dt} \left[ (\vec r \cdot \vec v)\vec r \right]## is ##(\vec r \cdot \vec a)\vec r##, There are no more derivatives with respect to time for this part. Why do you feel you need to take the derivative of the acceleration? I begin to suspect that you are unsure about how to take derivatives when you have a product.

d/dt(r2v) its a product, isn't it? in that case, the derivative would be 2rv+r2a, wouldn't it??

and I referred to d/dt ((v2+r⋅ a)r), which I did it as a the derivative of a product and that's my biggest doubt. Did I do something wrong before?

fer Mnaj said:
d/dt(r2v) its a product, isn't it? in that case, the derivative would be 2rv+r2a, wouldn't it??
Yes it would if you want to write that way, but it is not recommended for this problem. Anyway, if you choose to write this way and get 2rv+r2a, you are done taking derivatives of this part. Why are asking
fer Mnaj said:
how can I differentiate d/dt ((v2+r⋅ a)r)?
?

kuruman said:
Part of ##\dfrac{d}{dt} \left[ (\vec r \cdot \vec v)\vec r \right]## is ##(\vec r \cdot \vec a)\vec r##
How did you get that?

I saw it as a triple product, probably there I did something wrong

New user has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork questions
Now my biggest doubt is: How can I derivate a dot product that's being multiplied by a vector?? take for example (r⋅ r)v

fer Mnaj said:
Now my biggest doubt is: How can I derivate a dot product that's being multiplied by a vector?? take for example (r⋅ r)v
You apply the rule of multiplication as always: you distribute the time derivative operator,
$$\frac{d}{dt}[(\vec r \cdot \vec r)\vec v]=\left(\frac{d\vec r}{dt} \cdot \vec r\right)\vec v+ \left(\vec r \cdot \frac{d\vec r}{dt}\right)\vec v+(\vec r \cdot \vec r)\dfrac{d \vec v}{dt}.$$

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
kuruman said:
You apply the rule of multiplication as always: you distribute the time derivative operator,
$$\frac{d}{dt}[(\vec r \cdot \vec r)\vec v]=\left(\frac{d\vec r}{dt} \cdot \vec r\right)\vec v+ \left(\vec r \cdot \frac{d\vec r}{dt}\right)\vec v+(\vec r \cdot \vec r)\dfrac{d \vec v}{dt}.$$

... which is a special case of:
$$\frac{d}{dt}(a \vec b) = \frac{da}{dt}\vec b + a\frac{d \vec b}{dt}$$
and
$$\frac{d}{dt}(\vec b \cdot \vec c) = \frac{d \vec b}{dt} \cdot\vec c + \vec b \cdot \frac{d \vec c}{dt}$$
For any vectors ##\vec b, \vec c## and scalar ##a##.

Likes kuruman

1. What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration?

Position refers to the location of an object in space. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time.

2. How are position, velocity, and acceleration related?

Position, velocity, and acceleration are related through the equations of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's position, velocity, and acceleration over time. These equations include the equations of motion for constant acceleration, as well as the equations for non-uniform acceleration.

3. How can vectors be used to represent position, velocity, and acceleration?

Vectors can be used to represent position, velocity, and acceleration by indicating both the magnitude (size) and direction of these quantities. For example, the vector for velocity would include both the speed and direction of an object's motion.

4. What is the role of time in understanding identity with vectors for position, velocity, and acceleration?

Time is a crucial factor in understanding identity with vectors for position, velocity, and acceleration. This is because these quantities are all dependent on time and how they change over time. Without considering time, it is impossible to fully understand an object's position, velocity, and acceleration.

5. How do vectors for position, velocity, and acceleration change in different reference frames?

Vectors for position, velocity, and acceleration can change in different reference frames, meaning the perspective from which they are observed. However, the laws of physics (including the equations of motion) remain the same regardless of the reference frame, allowing for consistency in understanding these quantities.