1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a^2 is divisible by 3, then a is divisible by 3

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume a is a natural number and that a^2 is divisible by 3 (that is, there exists natural number n so that 3n = a^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought about doing this one by contradiction. Suppose a is not divisible by 3. Then a/3 can be written as

a/3 = b/c

where b and c are natural numbers with no common factors. From there I square both sides to get

(a^2)/9 = b^2/c^2

My plan was to then show that this implies (a^2)/3 is NOT a natural number, a contradiction, which would imply no such b and c exist. I'm not certain if this is the right angle, however, since I had a hard time justifying that 3(b^2)/c^2 is not a natural number.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Another way to go about it is to show that the contrapositive is true. You are saying that if [itex]a^2[/itex] is divisible by 3, then so is a. The contrapositive is that if a is not divisible by 3, then [itex]a^2[/itex] isn't either. If a is not divisible by 3, how can it be written? Can you think of a way to write any natural number that is not divisible by 3 in a general way?

If you are having a hard time with this, think about how you can write any even number. How about any odd number? Does a similar concept apply to 3?

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    I think I follow you.

Suppose 3 does not divide a. Then a can be written as 3n-1 or 3n-2 for some natural number n.

Case 1: a = 3n-1.
    Then a^2 = 9n^2-6n+1 which is not divisible by 3 since (3n^2-2n+1/3) is the sum of two natural numbers and a fraction, which is not a natural number.

Case 2: a = 3n-2.
    Then a^2 = 9n^2-12n+4 which is not divisible by three by similar reasoning.

But we know a^2 is divisible by three so we have a contradiction. Therefore, a must also be divisible by 3.

5. Oct 3, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That works. It's easier you know 3 is prime and just think about prime factorizations, but that still works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook