If A and B are Hermitian operators is (i A + B ) Hermitian?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Settho
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
OP warned about not using the homework template
If A and B are Hermitian operators is (i A + B ) a Hermitian operator?
(Hint: use the definition of hermiticity used in the vector space where the elements are quadratic integrable functions)

I know an operator is Hermitian if:
- the eigenvalues are real
- the eigenfunction is orthonormal
- the eigenfunctions form a complete basis set.

I know how to prove if A + B is a Hermitian operator, but because of the i in front of A I still am a little bit confused.

So I know to prove if the eigenvalues are real. You have to use these integrals first and prove both sides are the same so that λ = λ*

332up34.png


So I did this:
20qhtar.png


I have doubts about the last one, because I think that is now how it is suppose to go, but I don't know. And then I thought because both sides aren't the same the eigenvalues aren't real and it isn't Hermitian.
io3djr.png


Is this correct? If it isn't how am I suppose to handle this problem?
 
Attachments
  • 332up34.png
    332up34.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,588
  • 20qhtar.png
    20qhtar.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 1,417
  • io3djr.png
    io3djr.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,319
Physics news on Phys.org
Settho said:
[...] how am I suppose to handle this problem?
Also trying looking up the properties of the "conjugate transpose" operation on Wikipedia. E.g., what is ##(AB)^* = \;?##
 
A clue: It will be hermitian in the special case where A=0.

One example of this kind of operator are the raising and lowering operators of a harmonic oscillator, where the A and B are multiples of the hermitian position and momentum operators.