1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If A and B are invertible square matrices, there exists

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If A and B are invertible matrices over an algebraically closed field [itex] k [/itex], show there exists [itex] \lambda \in k [/itex] such that [itex] det(\lambda A + B) = 0 [/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Can anyone agree with the following short proof? I tried looking online for a confirmation, but I wasn't exactly sure how to search exactly for this problem.

Suppose [itex] det(\lambda A + B) \neq 0 ~~\forall \lambda \in k [/itex]

Since [itex] det(A^{-1}) \neq 0 [/itex], then

[itex] det(A^{-1}(\lambda A + B)) = det(\lambda I + A^{-1}B) = det(A^{-1}B - (-\lambda)I) \neq 0 ~~\forall \lambda \in k [/itex]

So [itex] -\lambda [/itex] is not an eigenvalue for [itex] A^{-1}B [/itex] for all [itex] -\lambda \in k [/itex]. i.e. [itex] \lambda [/itex] is not an eigenvalue of [itex] A^{-1}B [/itex] for all [itex] \lambda \in k [/itex]. Since [itex] k [/itex] is algebraically closed this cannot be the case.

Is this okay? I guess it is not necessarily true when [itex]k[/itex] is not algebraically closed?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? What are you asked to show about [itex]det(\lambda A+ B)[/itex]? You have a subject with no verb!

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3
    My bad...early morning. Edited.

5. Apr 2, 2014 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You bet it can fail. Take A=[[0,1],[1,0]] and B=[[2,0],[0,1]]. What goes wrong if k is the field of rationals?

6. Apr 2, 2014 #5

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I didn't see that last bit about what happens when k is not algebraically closed. It can also fail with the reals. Just construct your matrices so the eigenvalues of A-1B are complex.

7. Apr 2, 2014 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure. But that's because the reals aren't algebraically closed. The det gives you a real polynomial. If it has no real roots, you are out of luck.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted