1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a is not equal to zero then b/a=b*a^-1

1. Jun 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove: if a[itex]\neq[/itex]0 then b/a=b*a^-1

I don't know if my proof is sufficient with this one but I cannot think of another way. Also I am only supposed to use the basic axioms (e.g. commutative, distributive, existence of reciprocal...)

2. Relevant equations
    1/a=a^-1 (I am not supposed to use this)
    Distributive law

3. The attempt at a solution

b/a=b*(1/a)
    =b*(a^-1)
    =b*a^-1

I am not allowed to use the (1/a)=a^-1 thing, but I can't think of how to tackle this one any other way. Could someone at least get me pointed in the right direction? I am confused because the property seems too obvious hahaha.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is obvious, hahaha. And I don't think you can 'prove' it. It's a definition. As far as I know, b/a is defined by b*a^(-1). If you have an alternate definition of b/a then you might be able to prove it. What might that definition be?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  4. Jun 16, 2013 #3
    I don't see any alternate definitions of a/b. I only have these six axioms:

AXIOM 1. COMMUTATIVE LAWS. X +y =y + X, xy = yx.
    AXIOM 2. ASSOCIATIVE LAWS. x + (y + z) = (x + y) + z, x(yz) = (xy)z. AXIOM 3. DISTRIBUTIVE LAW. x(y + z) = xy + xz.
    AXIOM 4. EXISTENCE OF IDENTITY ELEMENTS. There exist two distinct real numbers, which we denote by0and 1,such that for ecery real x we have x+0=x and1’ x =x.
    AXIOM 5. EXISTENCE OF NEGATIVES. For every real number x there is a real number y such that x + y = 0.
    AXIOM 6. EXISTENCE OF RECIPROCALS. For every real number x # 0 there is a real number y such that xy = 1.

and these 4 theorems:

THEOREM 1.1. CANCELLATION LAW FOR ADDITION. Zf a + b = a + c, then b = c. (In particular, this shows that the number 0 of Axiom 4 is unique.)
    THEOREM 1.2. POSSIBILITY OF SUBTRACTION. Given a and b, there is exactly one x such thata+x=6. Thisxisdenotedbyb-a.Inparticular,0-aiswrittensimply -aand is called the negative of a.
    THEOREM 1.3. b - a=b+(-a).
    THEOREM 1.4. -(-a) = a.

5. Jun 16, 2013 #4
    If you can't directly use [itex]\dfrac{1}{a} = a^{-1}[/itex], then can you use [itex]a \cdot a^{-1} = 1[/itex]? If not, then what exactly is [itex]a^{-1}[/itex]? How is it defined?

Edit: I don't see either [itex]\dfrac{1}{a}[/itex] or [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] defined in the axioms you posted. I believe it's safe to assume [itex]\dfrac{1}{a}[/itex] is defined as the multiplicative inverse of [itex]a[/itex]. If [itex]a^{-1}[/itex] isn't defined in the same way (from which the desired proof would follow from definition), then how exactly is it defined?

6. Jun 16, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no definition in there of what b/a means or what a^(-1) means, though I assume the latter is that a^(-1) is the y in the expression that is supposed to exist in ay=1 in AXIOM 6. There is no way to prove anything if your axioms don't tell you what the notation means in terms of the axioms. See the problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted