Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If a sum is 0, is the summand 0?

1. Nov 30, 2014 #1
    Hey guys,

Was just wondering something. Suppose I have an equation of the form

[itex]\sum_{i=0}^{n}\frac{1}{x_{i}}(a-by_{i})=0[/itex],

how would I solve this? do I just set the summand = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No. If the terms in the sum can be positive or negative, their sum can be zero without any of them being zero. As a simple example, 2 + (-1) + (-1) = 0, but no single term equals zero.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  4. Nov 30, 2014 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What variables are you solving for? What symbols represent known values ?

5. Nov 30, 2014 #4
    The real equation I'm dealing with is
    [itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{\sigma_{i}^{2}}2x(y_{i}-\alpha x -\beta x^{2})=0[/itex]

and im trying to solve for alpha and beta but one at a time...

6. Nov 30, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

So it's "[itex] x [/itex]" instead of "[itex] x_i [/itex]"?`

7. Nov 30, 2014 #6
    Yes I wrote it completely differently in the original post as I didnt think I would need to put the actual equation here but I changed my mind, sorry.

There is no summation over [itex]x[/itex], only over the [itex]\sigma_{i}[/itex] and [itex]y_{i}[/itex].

8. Nov 30, 2014 #7
    The closest I can get is

[itex](\alpha x +\beta x^{2})\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{1}{\sigma_{i}^{2}}=\sum_{i=1}^{n}\frac{y_{i}}{\sigma_{i}^{2}}[/itex]

No idea what to do from here

9. Dec 1, 2014 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That equation doesn't have a unique solution. To get a unique solution, you need to know another equation involving [itex] \alpha [/itex] and [itex] \beta [/itex].

Does this equation come from setting a partial derivative equal to zero? If so, perhaps there is another partial derivative that's supposed to be set equal to zero.

10. Dec 1, 2014 #9
    Yes you are right - it turns out that the [itex]x[/itex] are also summed in addition to [itex]y_{i},\sigma_{i}[/itex], i had interpreted the situation inocorrectly.

Everything is fine now thank you for your help! :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook