If d>|t-c|>0 satisfies e>|f(t)-L| does d1<d also?

• Thread starter Odious Suspect
  • Start date
In summary: So I corrected it so that it made sense.In summary, the conversation discusses a proof of the well-known limit of products theorem, which involves the use of the epsilon-delta definition of continuity. The conversation also addresses the question of whether a "well-behaved" function, such as a differentiable function, satisfies the epsilon-delta definition and therefore the limit of products theorem. The conversation also mentions helpful resources for understanding the epsilon-delta definition.
Odious Suspect
I was trying to come up with a proof of the well-known limit of products theorem. Suppose we have

$$\left|F_1 (t)-L_1\right|<\epsilon _1\Rightarrow \delta _1>|t-c|>0$$

and

$$\left|F_2 (t)-L_2\right|<\epsilon _2\Rightarrow \delta _2>|t-c|>0$$

$$\left|F_1 (t)-L_1\right|\left|F_2 (t)-L_2\right|<\epsilon _1\epsilon _2\Rightarrow min(\delta _1,\delta _2)>|t-c|>0$$

I could wave my hands and say that a well-behaved function approaches linearity in the neighborhood of ##c##, or something that sounds similarly impressive, but I am not satisfied with that. It seems my method of proof requires that any ##\delta < \delta _1## will also satisfy ##\left|F_1 (t)-L_1\right|<\epsilon _1##.

What justification, if any, have I for such an assertion? Again, this seems obvious for "well-behaved" functions, but I'm not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg.

I acknowledge that my proof seems a bit frumpy, even if it works; but the question about ##\delta < \delta _1## remains.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Odious Suspect said:
I was trying to come up with a proof of the well-known limit of products theorem. Suppose we have

$$\left|F_1 (t)-L_1\right|<\epsilon _1\Rightarrow \delta _1>|t-c|>0$$

and

$$\left|F_2 (t)-L_2\right|<\epsilon _2\Rightarrow \delta _2>|t-c|>0$$
You got this backwards. It should be ##0 < |t-c| < \delta_1 \Rightarrow |F_1(t)-L_1|< \epsilon_1##.
That ##\lim_{t\to c} F_1(t) = L_1## means that to every ##\epsilon_1 >0## there is such a ##\delta_1 >0##. Same for ##F_2##.

$$\left|F_1 (t)-L_1\right|\left|F_2 (t)-L_2\right|<\epsilon _1\epsilon _2\Rightarrow min(\delta _1,\delta _2)>|t-c|>0$$
This is also wrong. What you want to prove is that ##\lim_{t\to c} F_1(t)F_2(t)=L_1L_2##, right? Then you must prove that to every ##\epsilon > 0## there is a ##\delta>0## such that ##0<|t-c|<\delta\Rightarrow |F_1(t)F_2(t)-L_1L_1|<\epsilon##, and that is something completely different.

I could wave my hands and say that a well-behaved function approaches linearity in the neighborhood of ##c##, or something that sounds similarly impressive, but I am not satisfied with that. It seems my method of proof requires that any ##\delta < \delta _1## will also satisfy ##\left|F_1 (t)-L_1\right|<\epsilon _1##.
Yes, this is no problem. If ##0 < |t-c| < \delta \Rightarrow |F(t)-L|< \epsilon## and ##0<\delta'<\delta##, then certainly ##0<|x-c|<\delta'## implies ##0<|x-c|<\delta##, and hence ##|F(t)-L|< \epsilon##. So if it works for some ##\delta>0##, then it works for any smaller ##\delta>0##. This simplifies things, since we don't need to find the "best" (in the sense "greatest possible") ##\delta##, it suffices to find some ##\delta## which works.

Erland said:
You got this backwards. It should be ##0 < |t-c| < \delta_1 \Rightarrow |F_1(t)-L_1|< \epsilon_1##.
That ##\lim_{t\to c} F_1(t) = L_1## means that to every ##\epsilon_1 >0## there is such a ##\delta_1 >0##. Same for ##F_2##.

That was just scratch-pad thinking, but I'm not sure it's wrong. The intent was: given ##\epsilon_1## the existence of some ##\delta_1## such that ##0 < |t-c| < \delta_1## is implied.

The following is from Fundamentals of Mathematics, Vol. 1: Foundations of Mathematics: The Real Number System and Algebra.
$$\underset{x}{\land }\underset{\epsilon }{\land }\left(x\in I\to \underset{\delta }{\lor }\underset{y}{\land }(y\in I\land |x-y|<\delta \to |f (x)-f (y)|<\epsilon )\right)$$

##\epsilon## and ##\delta## are positive real numbers and I is a real number interval. I've followed their notation, rather than converting to the contemporary standard. It was given as an example of how to work with the symbols of propositional calculus. It is the Cauchy definition of continuity of a function ##f## in an interval ##I##. I believe it addresses the essence of my original question, but I am not presenting it for that purpose. My point is that in English, I read it as: for all ##x## in ##I## and all ##\epsilon## it is implied that some ##\delta## exists for all ##y## in ##I## such that of ##|x-y|<\delta## it follows that ##|f (x)-f (y)|<\epsilon##. So my ##\Leftarrow## was the first implication.

Erland said:
This is also wrong. What you want to prove is that ##\lim_{t\to c} F_1(t)F_2(t)=L_1L_2##, right? Then you must prove that to every ##\epsilon > 0## there is a ##\delta>0## such that ##0<|t-c|<\delta\Rightarrow |F_1(t)F_2(t)-L_1L_1|<\epsilon##, and that is something completely different.

I hadn't spelled out my approach. That was just a starting point. I intended to expand the multiplication and come up with something equivalent to your statement. I have yet to return to the problem. I just wanted to explain myself a bit in this post.

Erland said:
Yes, this is no problem. If ##0 < |t-c| < \delta \Rightarrow |F(t)-L|< \epsilon## and ##0<\delta'<\delta##, then certainly ##0<|x-c|<\delta'## implies ##0<|x-c|<\delta##, and hence ##|F(t)-L|< \epsilon##. So if it works for some ##\delta>0##, then it works for any smaller ##\delta>0##. This simplifies things, since we don't need to find the "best" (in the sense "greatest possible") ##\delta##, it suffices to find some ##\delta## which works.

No matter how much advanced math I read, I still get the sense that "it works because it has to work", is what "well-behaved function" means.

Q: What's a well behaved function?
A: A function that is differentiable.

Q: What is a differentiable function?
A: One that is well behaved.

Odious Suspect said:
My point is that in English, I read it as: for all ##x## in ##I## and all ##\epsilon## it is implied that some ##\delta## exists for all ##y## in ##I## such that of ##|x-y|<\delta## it follows that ##|f (x)-f (y)|<\epsilon##. So my ##\Leftarrow## was the first implication.
But this "first implication" is not an implication, at least not in the mathematical sense. The existence of such a ##\delta##, what is it implied by? Implication is a relation between propositions: ##P\implies Q##, and here we have no propostion ##P##. So instead of saying

"for all ##x## in ##I## and all ##\epsilon## it is implied that some ##\delta## exists for all ##y## in ##I## such that of ##|x-y|<\delta## it follows that ##|f (x)-f (y)|<\epsilon##

one should say

"for all ##x## in ##I## and all ##\epsilon>0## there exists a ##\delta>0## such that for all ##y## in ##I##: ##|x-y|<\delta## implies that ##|f (x)-f (y)|<\epsilon##.

so that there is only one genuine implication here.

In your original post, you had an expression which was abbreviated in such a way that it looked like an implication facing the wrong direction. I understand that it was "scratchpad" writing, but you pubslished it here, and you can't expect us to be thought readers...

To be fair, there is in fact a way in which your mischaracterized implication can be interpreted as a genuine implication: we can interprete "For every ##\epsilon>0##, there is a ##\delta > 0## such that..." as "For every ##\epsilon##: If ##\epsilon >0 ##, then there is a ##\delta## such that ##\delta>0## and...", but it quite rare to write out an implication like this.

No matter how much advanced math I read, I still get the sense that "it works because it has to work", is what "well-behaved function" means.

Q: What's a well behaved function?
A: A function that is differentiable.

Q: What is a differentiable function?
A: One that is well behaved.
I don't understand how this applies here.

(Native English speakers may very well find better formulations than mine. I am Swedish.)

Erland said:
But this "first implication" is not an implication, at least not in the mathematical sense. The existence of such a ##\delta##, what is it implied by?
[\quote]

I'm sorry. This is the reason I post here. I never communicate with mathematicians and physicists elsewhere. I should have said that the existence of the limit ##L_1## and the choice of some arbitrary ##\epsilon## implies the existence of a ##\delta##. So the proposition P would be: ##\underset{t \to c }{lim } f_1(t) = L_1 \and \epsilon > 0##. The whole statement would be: ##\underset{t \to c }{lim } f_1(t) = L_1 \and \epsilon > 0 \to \underset{\delta }{\lor } \delta >|t=c| > 0##.

Erland said:
I don't understand how this applies here.

My question was really about what I could assume a priori. I'm trying to do my proof on the basis of what a naive calculus student should assume in the first weeks of a course.

Unfortunately, I have to leave the library, so I will have to pick this up later.

Odious Suspect said:
I should have said that the existence of the limit L1 and the choice of some arbitrary ϵ implies the existence of a δ. So the proposition P would be: limt→cf1(t)=L1\andϵ>0. The whole statement would be: limt→cf1(t)=L1\andϵ>0→∨δδ>|t=c|>0. uld have said that the existence of the limit L1 and the choice of some arbitrary ϵ implies the existence of a δ. So the proposition P would be: limt→cf1(t)=L1\andϵ>0. The whole statement would be: limt→cf1(t)=L1\andϵ>0→∨δδ>|t=c|>0.

Lack of time, Odious...? :) I think you meant this:

##\lim_{t\to c} f_1(t)=L1 \land \epsilon>0\implies \exists\delta>0:\forall x\in I (0<|t-c|<\delta \implies |f_1(t)-L1|<\epsilon)## and this is a correct implication.

And, for your original question: If you find a ##\delta## satisfying this for a given ##\epsilon >0##, the every smaller ##\delta>0## also satisfies this, for the same ##\epsilon##. This is obvious. So if the task just is to find such a ##\delta##, there is always infinitely many to choose from, and there is no need to take the greatest possible one, if it is simpler or more useful to take a smaller one.

Erland said:
Lack of time, Odious...? :) I think you meant this:

##\lim_{t\to c} f_1(t)=L1 \land \epsilon>0\implies \exists\delta>0:\forall x\in I (0<|t-c|<\delta \implies |f_1(t)-L1|<\epsilon)## and this is a correct implication.
Absolutely. Thank you for translating my babbling into a coherent statement. As I say, I need to work on my formal communication skills. My only reader for most of my scrawling is in the position to read my mind.

Erland said:
And, for your original question: If you find a ##\delta## satisfying this for a given ##\epsilon >0##, the every smaller ##\delta>0## also satisfies this, for the same ##\epsilon##. This is obvious. So if the task just is to find such a ##\delta##, there is always infinitely many to choose from, and there is no need to take the greatest possible one, if it is simpler or more useful to take a smaller one.

Well, there's obvious and then there's obvious IF.... For example, if I concoct a function ##∀_{x∈ℝ}(∀_{x∈ℚ}(f(x)=sin(x)) \veebar f(x)=1)##. I believe that would allow me to always find ##\delta## satisfying the requirements of the definition of a limit, but it would not follow that ##∀_{\delta>|x-c|>0}∀_{\delta>\delta^{'}>0} \implies \epsilon >|f(x)-L|##. That is to say, my pathological function defies the definition of a limit.

The reason for my original post was because I wanted to say things such as ##\epsilon = \epsilon_1 = \epsilon_2## or ##\forall \delta_{'}:\delta>\delta_{'}>0 \implies \epsilon >|f(t)-L| \implies \delta_{'}>|t-c|## when exhibiting proofs of theorems dealing with limits. In the former case, ##\epsilon## no longer seems truly "arbitrary", and the latter case seemed not to follow from the previously stated assumptions.

I'm not really sure how to state the necessary assumptions in a way appropriate for an introduction to calculus. And, in at least one case, the number theorists referred my to the topologists who referred me to the number theorists for the ultimate proof of the continuity of ℝ.

1. What does the statement "d>|t-c|>0" mean in this context?

The statement "d>|t-c|>0" means that the distance between the point t and the point c is greater than 0. In other words, the two points are not coincident.

2. How does the value of e affect the relationship between d and d1?

The value of e does not affect the relationship between d and d1. The only factors that determine the relationship are the values of d and the function f(t).

3. Can you provide a real-world example to illustrate this concept?

Consider a car traveling at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour. The distance the car travels in one hour (d) is equal to 60 miles. If the car starts at point A and ends at point B, with point C being the midpoint between the two, then d>|t-c|>0 is satisfied. If we measure the distance between the car and point C at any given time (t), it will always be greater than 0. However, if we measure the distance between the car and point B (d1), it will always be less than d, regardless of the value of e.

4. How does the statement "e>|f(t)-L|" relate to the concept of d1?

The statement "e>|f(t)-L|" means that the difference between the value of the function f(t) at point t and a given limit L is greater than the value of e. This is related to the concept of d1 because d1 represents the distance between the point t and the limit L on the y-axis. So, in this context, d1 is less than the value of e.

5. Is the statement "d1

No, the statement "d1|t-c|>0 and e>|f(t)-L| are both satisfied. If either of these conditions is not met, then the statement may not be true. It is important to evaluate both conditions to determine the validity of the statement.