If energy cannot be created or destroyed, what is the universe?

In summary, according to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed. However, if the second statement is true, that the universe has always existed in one form or another, then this supports the first law. So in the big picture, the first law is still valid.
MathJakob
I really hope this isn't another stupid question but I think it's a valid question so i'll ask it.

If the conservation of energy law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, then why did it come into existence when the big bang happened? Could we not assume that the energy that created the big bang is also the universe itself? So basically if the 1st law of thermodynamics is true, does that not state that energy has always existed in one form or another?

So if that second statement is true, we can say that the universe has always existed in one form or another and thus was never created, because it always existed, and if it always existed, that supports the 1st law of thermodyamics?

/confused.

Space news on Phys.org
We do not know how the universe came into existence. The Big Bang Theory does NOT deal with the origin of the universe. It simply states that the universe was once in a very hot, very dense state and expanded and cooled from there over time, eventually leading to the universe as we see it today. So your question cannot be answered with any certainty.

Hope blooms eternal. We still hold hope some questions will be clarified by CMB polarization measurements, LIGO, JWST and a number of other efforts still underway. We have made remarkable progress over the past decade.

MathJakob said:
I really hope this isn't another stupid question but I think it's a valid question so i'll ask it.

If the conservation of energy law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, then why did it come into existence when the big bang happened? Could we not assume that the energy that created the big bang is also the universe itself? So basically if the 1st law of thermodynamics is true, does that not state that energy has always existed in one form or another?

So if that second statement is true, we can say that the universe has always existed in one form or another and thus was never created, because it always existed, and if it always existed, that supports the 1st law of thermodyamics?

/confused.
Conservation of energy doesn't apply in a curved space-time in general. See here for an in-depth discussion:
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does this law relate to the universe?

This law applies to the universe because it is a closed system, meaning no energy can enter or leave. Therefore, the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant.

3. Does this mean the universe has always existed?

The law of conservation of energy does not necessarily imply that the universe has always existed. It only means that the total amount of energy within the universe has remained constant throughout its existence.

4. If energy cannot be created, how did the universe come into existence?

The Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe. It suggests that the universe was born from a singular point of infinite energy, which then expanded and cooled to form the universe we know today.

5. Can energy be destroyed in the future?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be destroyed. However, it can be transformed into different forms. In the distant future, it is possible that the universe will reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and no work can be done. But even in this state, the energy will still exist in some form and cannot be destroyed.