Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If eV=pV than

1. Nov 28, 2008 #1
    Suppose scientists had chosen to measure small energies in proton volts rather than electron volts. What difference would this make?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2008 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Doesn't the proton have the same charge as the electron? It's really late and I'm tired and can't think, but I'm clinging to that statement because I can't imagine how else hydrogen would be neutral. So that means the charge of the proton is just +e, whereas the electron is -e. Incidentally, the electron volt (and the proton volt, I guess) are units of energy, not charge. So your original question doesn't make sense. Scientists don't measure charge in electron volts in the first place.

The electron volt is the amount by which the energy of a particle with charge of magnitude e would change as it moved through a potential difference of one volt. The only difference between the two is that the electron would lose energy and the proton would gain energy (if the potential difference were positive i.e. if the electric potential *increased* by one volt between the starting and final positions of the charge). Vice versa if the potential difference were negative. Again, it's late, and I may have the signs wrong. You figure it out. Either way, it's irrelevant because we're just considering the *amount* by which the energy changed and using that as a unit of energy.

4. Nov 28, 2008 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Yes, a "proton volt" would be the same as an "electron volt," as a unit of energy, because the magnitude of the charge is the same on the two particles.

5. Nov 28, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll assert that we really do use protonvolts in practice, since we use (+e) times (+1v) for this unit of energy. We just call it an electronvolt.

6. Nov 28, 2008 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Good call...(IMO), as far as nomenclature is concerned.

7. Nov 28, 2008 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course, one could also argue we are using positronvolts :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?