If ##\int_{0}^{x} f = \int_{x}^{1} f## ....

• Thread starter Euklidian-Space
  • Start date
In summary, using the fundamental theorem of calculus and the continuity of the function, it can be shown that if ##f:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is a continuous function satisfying ##\int_{0}^{x} f(x) dx = \int_{x}^{1} f(x) dx## for all ##x \in [0,1]##, then ##f(x) = 0## for all ##x \in [0,1]##. This can be proven by taking the derivative of both sides, setting ##x = 0##, and using the fact that the integral must equal 0 for all ##
Euklidian-Space

Homework Statement

If ##f:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is a continuous function such that ##\int_{0}^{x} f(x) dx = \int_{x}^{1} f(x) dx##, ##\forall x \in [0,1]##, show that ##f(x) = 0## ##\forall x \in [0,1]##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have tried doing this by assuming ##\exists c \in [0,1]## such that ##f(c) > 0##. however i don't think it is bearing any fruit. I thought maybe then i could make a partition of [0,c] and [c,1] and show that their upper sums don't equal, but I don't really know where to start to show this either.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euklidian-Space said:

Homework Statement

If ##f:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is a continuous function such that ##\int_{0}^{x} f = \int_{x}^{1}##, ##\forall x \in [0,1]##, show that ##f(x) = 0## ##\forall x \in [0,1]##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have tried doing this by assuming ##\exists c \in [0,1]## such that ##f(c) > 0##. however i don't think it is bearing any fruit. I thought maybe then i could make a partition of [0,c] and [c,1] and show that their upper sums don't equal, but I don't really know where to start to show this either.
You should really show what variable you integrate with respect to. Do this by including a differential along with the " ∫ " (integration) symbol.

##\ \int_{0}^{x} f \ ## is very ambiguous, if not downright meaningless.

You need to write something like ##\ \int_{0}^{x} f(t)\,dt \ ## .

Likes hunt_mat
After following SammyS suggestion you might think about what happens if you take the derivative of both sides.

Dick said:
After following SammyS suggestion you might think about what happens if you take the derivative of both sides.
ah so use Fund THM of calc?

Euklidian-Space said:
ah so use Fund THM of calc?

Right.

I would recommend the following: Let: [tex]F(x)=\int_{0}^{x}f(u)du[/tex] and consider the integral: [tex]\int_{0}^{1}f(u)du[/tex] and think about splitting the integral in some convenient way.

Maybe you can start by setting ##x=0## on both sides, to find the value of the integral. Then, I don't know if you have seen Weirstrass' Approximation. Thm. for continuous functions in compact intervals, so you can approximate f witin ##\epsilon## by ##a_0+a_1t+...+a_{N}t^{N} ##, for Real ## a_i ## and try to see what happens for different choices of ##x##, since it is easy to compute (and evaluate) the integral of a polynomial. Maybe a little messy (Messi?), and you need to track the approximations, but otherwise I think it works.

SammyS said:
##\int_{0}^{x} f(x).dx ## is very ambiguous, if not downright meaningless.
Not really. It's a pun, and not ideal, but very commonly done. The x inside the integral is a dummy variable - as always for the variable of integration - whereas the x in the bound is not, and therefore represents something else. It's exactly the same as writing the indefinite integral ##\int_{0} f(x).dx ##.
Search for pun at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/conceptual-difficulties-roles-variables/

haruspex said:
Not really. It's a pun, and not ideal, but very commonly done. The x inside the integral is a dummy variable - as always for the variable of integration - whereas the x in the bound is not, and therefore represents something else. It's exactly the same as writing the indefinite integral ##\int_{0} f(x).dx ##.
Search for pun at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/conceptual-difficulties-roles-variables/
What SammyS actually said was:
SammyS said:
You should really show what variable you integrate with respect to. Do this by including a differential along with the " ∫ " (integration) symbol.

##\ \int_{0}^{x} f \ ## is very ambiguous, if not downright meaningless.

You need to write something like ##\ \int_{0}^{x} f(t)\,dt \ ## .

SammyS said:
What SammyS actually said was:
Sorry, didn't notice the OP had been edited already, copied the format from there.

haruspex said:
Sorry, didn't notice the OP had been edited already, copied the format from there.
No problem !

I hadn't noticed his edit either.

The method that Dick suggested (take the derivative of both sides) is the fastest one. Another good approach is to add something to both sides of the equation that makes one side independent of x, and then take the derivative of both sides.

Last edited:
WWGD said:
Maybe you can start by setting ##x=0## on both sides, to find the value of the integral. Then, I don't know if you have seen Weirstrass' Approximation. Thm. for continuous functions in compact intervals, so you can approximate f witin ##\epsilon## by ##a_0+a_1t+...+a_{N}t^{N} ##, for Real ## a_i ## and try to see what happens for different choices of ##x##, since it is easy to compute (and evaluate) the integral of a polynomial. Maybe a little messy (Messi?), and you need to track the approximations, but otherwise I think it works.

Sorry, please ignore my reply, it is absurdly over-complicated; much better to use the answer suggested by many of using the FTC.

The condition is true for all x∈[0,1], therefore its true for x=0
[tex]\int_o^o f(x) \, dx=\int_o^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
[tex]\int_o^x f(x) \, dx + \int_x^1 f(x)\, dx =\int_x^1 f(x) \, dx +\int_x^1 f(x)\, dx [/tex]
[tex]\int_x^1 f(x) \, dx +\int_x^1 f(x)\, dx = \int_o^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
[tex] 2\int_x^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \int_x^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \int_0^x f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
from here you can show that f(x) is non-negative, an then from continuity you can show that (because area on the interval is 0) f(x)=0

Last edited:

1. What does the notation "##\int_{0}^{x} f##" mean in this context?

The integral notation "##\int_{0}^{x} f##" represents the definite integral of the function f from 0 to x. This means that we are finding the area under the curve of f between the points 0 and x on the x-axis.

2. How is the definite integral related to the function f in this equation?

The definite integral is related to the function f in this equation because it represents the total accumulation of the function f between the given limits. In other words, it gives us the net change of the function f over the given interval.

3. What does it mean for two definite integrals to be equal?

For two definite integrals to be equal, the areas under the two curves must be the same. This means that the net change of the function f between the two intervals is equal. In the context of this equation, it means that the total accumulation of f from 0 to x is equal to the total accumulation of f from x to 1.

4. How can this equation be used in real-world applications?

This equation can be used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the total distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, finding the total amount of a substance in a chemical reaction, or determining the total cost of a product with a changing price over time.

5. Is it possible for the two definite integrals to have different values in this equation?

No, it is not possible for the two definite integrals to have different values in this equation. This is because the definite integral represents the total accumulation of the function f and this value should be the same regardless of the chosen limits of integration. If the two definite integrals have different values, then there is an error in the calculation or the function f is not continuous in the given interval.