1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If ##\int_{0}^{x} f = \int_{x}^{1} f## ...

1. Jun 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If ##f:[0,1] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}## is a continuous function such that ##\int_{0}^{x} f(x) dx = \int_{x}^{1} f(x) dx##, ##\forall x \in [0,1]##, show that ##f(x) = 0## ##\forall x \in [0,1]##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried doing this by assuming ##\exists c \in [0,1]## such that ##f(c) > 0##. however i don't think it is bearing any fruit. I thought maybe then i could make a partition of [0,c] and [c,1] and show that their upper sums dont equal, but I dont really know where to start to show this either.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should really show what variable you integrate with respect to. Do this by including a differential along with the " ∫ " (integration) symbol.

##\ \int_{0}^{x} f \ ## is very ambiguous, if not downright meaningless.

You need to write something like ##\ \int_{0}^{x} f(t)\,dt \ ## .

4. Jun 7, 2015 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

After following SammyS suggestion you might think about what happens if you take the derivative of both sides.

5. Jun 7, 2015 #4
    ah so use Fund THM of calc?

6. Jun 7, 2015 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right.

7. Jun 9, 2015 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I would recommend the following: Let: [tex]F(x)=\int_{0}^{x}f(u)du[/tex] and consider the integral: [tex]\int_{0}^{1}f(u)du[/tex] and think about splitting the integral in some convenient way.

8. Jun 9, 2015 #7

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe you can start by setting ##x=0## on both sides, to find the value of the integral. Then, I don't know if you have seen Weirstrass' Approximation. Thm. for continuous functions in compact intervals, so you can approximate f witin ##\epsilon## by ##a_0+a_1t+...+a_{N}t^{N} ##, for Real ## a_i ## and try to see what happens for different choices of ##x##, since it is easy to compute (and evaluate) the integral of a polynomial. Maybe a little messy (Messi?), and you need to track the approximations, but otherwise I think it works.

9. Jun 11, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not really. It's a pun, and not ideal, but very commonly done. The x inside the integral is a dummy variable - as always for the variable of integration - whereas the x in the bound is not, and therefore represents something else. It's exactly the same as writing the indefinite integral ##\int_{0} f(x).dx ##.
    Search for pun at https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/conceptual-difficulties-roles-variables/

10. Jun 11, 2015 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What SammyS actually said was:

11. Jun 11, 2015 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, didn't notice the OP had been edited already, copied the format from there.

12. Jun 11, 2015 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No problem !

I hadn't noticed his edit either.

13. Jun 12, 2015 #12

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The method that Dick suggested (take the derivative of both sides) is the fastest one. Another good approach is to add something to both sides of the equation that makes one side independent of x, and then take the derivative of both sides.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  14. Jun 14, 2015 #13

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, please ignore my reply, it is absurdly over-complicated; much better to use the answer suggested by many of using the FTC.

15. Jun 22, 2015 #14
    The condition is true for all x∈[0,1], therefore its true for x=0
    [tex]\int_o^o f(x) \, dx=\int_o^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
    [tex]\int_o^x f(x) \, dx + \int_x^1 f(x)\, dx =\int_x^1 f(x) \, dx +\int_x^1 f(x)\, dx [/tex]
    [tex]\int_x^1 f(x) \, dx +\int_x^1 f(x)\, dx = \int_o^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] 2\int_x^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \int_x^1 f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
    [tex] \int_0^x f(x) \, dx = 0 [/tex]
    from here you can show that f(x) is non-negative, an then from continuity you can show that (because area on the interval is 0) f(x)=0

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted