1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If Mass can be turned into energy, can enegry be turned to Mass?

1. May 27, 2010 #1
    Also what form would this Mass take?
    And if this was possible would this not shine a bit of light on the plausibility of the big bangtheory?
    Probably a bit of a stupid question but I am but a young buck.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2010 #2
    Yes, this is where the mass of particles such as the photon comes from.

You will have to ask others about the 'big bang' I have no interest there.

4. May 27, 2010 #3
    Years ago I was told "equivalent". I attended a Lecture from a Italian Physicist, "Maconi". He suggested a large solenoid, with enormous amounts of current would have a field density that would have it's own "gravity", "approximating "mass".

That's the best I can do, I'm sure others can give better examples.

5. May 27, 2010 #4
    Mass can be of some other type which you can think of rather than SOLID

If we can store energy by any means, certainly, it will attain the shape of some mass

6. May 27, 2010 #5
    Converting energy into mass happens when you smash protons together so hard that it knocks the quarks out. The quark flying off stores energy in the bond being stretched like a rubber band, until it has stored enough energy that it can create more quarks.

Photons with high enough energy can create matter particles.

Bonding energy and potential energy within atomic and subatomic structures show up directly as measurable mass of the resulting system.

What "form"? If you create brand new particles, you get a balance of particles and anti-particles (though some particles are their own anti). Which particle you create is limited by the mass of the particle: you need enough energy to create it. And, it has to be a kind of particle that relates with the form of energy being applied. Within those rules, it's totally random.

If you add energy to an existing particle or system of particles, it just gets heavier.

7. May 27, 2010 #6
    Google"pair production"

8. May 27, 2010 #7

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you take 1 kg of water and raise its temperature by 50°C, you will end up with 1.000000000002 kg of water i.e. you have "converted" 0.2 megajoules of heat energy into 2 nanograms of water.

Note that you have not created any new molecules of water, but the collection of molecules has a little more inertia than it had before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook