If maths is about finding patterns

• Thread starter kaleidoscope
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Patterns
In summary: He could do some abstract math, like typing things on a keyboard. He was also pretty smart and knew how to defend himself. Unfortunately, he died a few years ago.
kaleidoscope
If maths is about finding patterns... then. if my parrot learns by itself that everytime I grab the food bag is time to eat and gets excited, can we say it has a very rudimentary/vestigial sense of math?

nd5081.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
kaleidoscope said:
If maths is about finding patterns... then. if my parrot learns by itself that everytime I grab the food bag is time to eat and gets excited, can we say it has a very rudimentary/vestigial sense of math?

nd5081.jpg

Well...I think he looks pretty dang smart.

Plus a constant. Aaaawwk.

Math requires deductive logic. Your bird is doing science

kaleidoscope said:

No. Pattern recognition is one of the skills used in math; not math itself.

For example, pattern recognition is also one of the skills used in reading. Baboons can learn to recognize words as words even when they have no concept what they mean and even when they've never been exposed to that particular word before.

While pattern recognition itself doesn't mean your parrot knows math, your parrot could have a better grasp of math than you might think. This parrot figured out the concept of zero on his own.

Are you familiar with this anecdote? No way of knowing if it's true or not:

A nobleman wanted to shoot down a crow that had built its nest atop a tower on his domain. However, whenever he approached the tower, the bird flew out of gun range, and waited until the man departed. As soon as he left, it returned to its nest. The man decided to ask a neighbor for help. The two hunters entered the tower together, and later only one of them came out. But the crow did not fall into this trap and carefully waited for the second man to come out before returning. Neither did three, then four, then five men fool the clever bird. Each time, the crow would wait until all the hunters had departed. Eventually, the hunters came as a party of six. When five of them had left the tower, the bird, not so numerate after all, confidently came back, and was shot down by the sixth hunter.

My cat does some really abstract math, btw. She sometimes types stuff on the keyboard. I have no idea what it means. Way over my head.

Mathematics is the language of logic. Your parrot has logic, but it does not use any of the human invented language to express it.

Most animals can do >, < logic comparisons. An animal's defense mechanism is different if it is attacked by one opponent or more opponents.

dkotschessaa said:
Are you familiar with this anecdote? No way of knowing if it's true or not:

A nobleman wanted to shoot down a crow that had built its nest atop a tower on his domain. However, whenever he approached the tower, the bird flew out of gun range, and waited until the man departed. As soon as he left, it returned to its nest. The man decided to ask a neighbor for help. The two hunters entered the tower together, and later only one of them came out. But the crow did not fall into this trap and carefully waited for the second man to come out before returning. Neither did three, then four, then five men fool the clever bird. Each time, the crow would wait until all the hunters had departed. Eventually, the hunters came as a party of six. When five of them had left the tower, the bird, not so numerate after all, confidently came back, and was shot down by the sixth hunter.

I've heard this story, but I don't know if it's true or not - or at least the original story. Your version seemingly can't be true, because crows can only numerate up to four objects. Which is very high! Human toddlers can only numerate up to 4 or 5 objects until they learn to count. (Or, in other words, maybe your version could be true - if a crow or a human toddler can perceive up to 4 objects, then the next category is "a bunch" with 5 being indistinguishable from 6 or 7).

This is also probably the reason for earliest counting systems being base 5. In other words, you can tally up to 4 marks and immediately perceive what number they represent, but when you get to 5, you make a slash through the four marks and start over with another group of 5 marks.

What is meant by "finding patterns" in maths?

"Finding patterns" in maths refers to identifying similarities and connections between numbers, equations, or geometric figures. By recognizing patterns, mathematicians can solve complex problems and make predictions.

Why is it important to find patterns in maths?

Finding patterns in maths is important because it helps us understand and make sense of numerical and geometric concepts. It also allows us to make predictions and solve complex problems more efficiently.

How can one find patterns in maths?

There are several strategies for finding patterns in maths. One approach is to look for repeated numbers or sequences in a set of data. Another is to use visual aids, such as graphs or diagrams, to identify patterns. Additionally, using algebraic equations and formulas can help reveal patterns.

What are some examples of patterns in maths?

There are many examples of patterns in maths, such as the Fibonacci sequence, which follows a pattern of adding the previous two numbers to get the next number (1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, etc.). Another example is the geometric pattern in the Pascal's Triangle, where each number is the sum of the two numbers above it.

Can patterns be found in all areas of maths?

Yes, patterns can be found in all areas of maths, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus. In geometry, there are patterns in shapes and angles, while in statistics, patterns can be seen in data sets. Patterns are also prevalent in algebra, trigonometry, and other branches of maths.