Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If science is an imitation of nature, what is the helicopter?

1. Jun 19, 2014 #1
    I was wondering today's how does the helicopter worked? Rotorcraft? I was wondering is their a bug that flys similar to the helicopter?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2014 #2

adjacent

Gold Member

What is a big?

4. Jun 19, 2014 #3
    Opps

5. Jun 19, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

How likely do you think that is.

As to your title, why should science be an imitation of nature? Granted it IS often, but is there any reason it NEEDS to all the time?

6. Jun 19, 2014 #5

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  7. Jun 19, 2014 #6
    What is nature's version of a bicycle? Or telephone? Or extension cord?

8. Jun 19, 2014 #7
    Hmm I see

9. Jun 19, 2014 #8

OCR

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  10. Jun 19, 2014 #9
    Looks like you might be confusing engineering and technology with science. Its easy to mix the concepts up... Science seeks to describe and predict our observations with theories. Engineering and technology seek to created useful devices and schemes which are often informed by scientific theories and sometimes inspired by natural or biological phenomenon.

11. Jun 20, 2014 #10

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Some technologies actively try to mimic or take advantage of natural processes (see most of the world of biotech) but many do not. You could argue that we see capability in nature and try to invent a way of having the same capability (e.g. flight) but we rarely copy what occurs in nature because of obvious differences.

12. Jun 20, 2014 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look up "Flagellum"

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Flagellum_base_diagram_en.svg

Last paragraph of this link is as entertaining as the article is fascinating . Would paste it but when i try , it shows as a vertical column of individual letters.

http://www2.oakland.edu/oujournal/files/19_spermtail.pdf

13. Jun 22, 2014 #12

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

14. Jun 22, 2014 #13
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook