Can Dimensional Analysis Solve the Helicopter Hovering Dilemma?

In summary, the Buckingham Pi Theorem states that the dimension of a function is the smallest positive integer such that the function takes on every point in that dimension.
Mircea Golumba
Hi, this problem is bugging me for several days now. In ”200 Puzzling Physics Problems”, Gnadik, Honyek, Riley there is this Problem 59:
A helicopter can hover when the power output of its engine is P. A second helicopter is an exact copy of the first one, but its linear dimensions are half those of the original. What power output is needed to enable this second helicopter to hover?

The solution to this is an ingenious resort to dimensional analysis, as follows:
http://www.educatiarutiera.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sol59.png
Now, I don't have a problem with this. I wonder however, what if we express, instead of the power needed to hover, the rotor speed, or frequency, that has the dimension s-1.
this would lead to α=1/2, β=-1/2 and γ=-δ=k. So, we'll get for the rotor speed s, needed for the helicopter to hoover:
http://www.educatiarutiera.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sol591.png
Please let me know wether my reasoning is correct. I'm not familiar with dimensional analysis and I'd really want to introduce this problem to some of my students. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Wminus
Physics news on Phys.org
Mircea Golumba said:
Hi, this problem is bugging me for several days now. In ”200 Puzzling Physics Problems”, Gnadik, Honyek, Riley there is this Problem 59:

The solution to this is an ingenious resort to dimensional analysis, as follows:
Now, I don't have a problem with this. I wonder however, what if we express, instead of the power needed to hover, the rotor speed, or frequency, that has the dimension s-1.
this would lead to α=1/2, β=-1/2 and γ=-δ=k. So, we'll get for the rotor speed s, needed for the helicopter to hoover:
http://www.educatiarutiera.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sol591.png
Please let me know wether my reasoning is correct. I'm not familiar with dimensional analysis and I'd really want to introduce this problem to some of my students. Thank you.

Awesome problem! But I think the motor power is proportional to the output torque * rotation frequency, not simply the rotation frequency. If I did the problem correctly, if the output torque is held constant, the rotor frequency of the smaller helicopter is faster by 2^(7/2). That said, it's early and the caffeine hasn't kicked in... but at least it agrees with observation: small birds and insects move their wings much faster than larger birds.

Thanks for reply but oops, I just found about something called ”Buckingham π theorem” - details - that is apparently disregarded by Gnadik's formula. I intend to study more but I could really make use of somebody more experienced's insight.

Later edit: sorry, my formula above is wrong, please consider this instead:
http://www.educatiarutiera.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/sol592.png

Thanks for sharing that. I never heard of Buckingham π theorem before. It is most interesting and clever.

The Buckingham Pi Theorem is well known in dimensional analysis. I encountered it in graduate school 50 years ago. A bit of Internet research will no doubt turn up more info on it.

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical tool used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves breaking down a given quantity into its fundamental units and then using those units to construct an equation that relates different physical quantities.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in scientific research?

Dimensional analysis is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to check the validity of their calculations and equations. It also helps to identify any missing or incorrect factors in a equation and ensures that the final result is in the correct units.

3. What is the dimensional analysis dilemma?

The dimensional analysis dilemma refers to the fact that while dimensional analysis can be a useful tool, it also has its limitations. It cannot always provide a complete understanding of a complex physical phenomenon and may not be applicable to all types of equations.

4. How is dimensional analysis used in different scientific fields?

Dimensional analysis is used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. It is particularly useful in fields that involve complex calculations and units conversion, such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

5. Can dimensional analysis be used in real-world applications?

Yes, dimensional analysis is commonly used in real-world applications. It is often used to design experiments, analyze data, and make predictions in various industries, such as aerospace, pharmaceuticals, and energy. It is also used in everyday life, such as converting units of measurement for cooking or construction projects.