Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B If something stands absolutely still in the space can it time travel?

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    I have a question. If something stands absolutely still in the space can it time travel?? I mean can it fall out of this universe? I am not a Physicist and forgive me for my mistakes in English.(I am foreigner) Just a question.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2
    What are you meaning by time travel ?
    Whats this means ??

4. Mar 1, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In whose space is this object stationary? I can easily be stationary in "my space" and yet, that object is not.

You might have the wrong impression that there is a preferred space in which being "stationary" or not moving is something special. It isn't. Any reference frame in which an object is not moving is no more special than another reference frame in which the object is moving with constant velocity. There is no physics that you can done to detect such a motion, and our laws all work the same way in either frame.

So why would something that is stationary in one frame while moving in another frame is somehow undergoing "time travel"? What's so special about it being in a frame in which it is not moving?

Zz.

5. Mar 1, 2017 #4
    Think about the term 'absolutely still', what does it mean?
    Does it mean that the object is not moving in relation to yourself?, No?
    Is it still In relation to the Earth?, to the Sun?, to the center of the Milky Way?, No?
    Then what do you compare it with so that it can be described as 'absolutely still' ... ?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  6. Mar 1, 2017 #5

7. Mar 1, 2017 #6
    I read in somewhere milky way is moving towards a big black hole. Because whole Universe is moving towards something. If something stands absolutely still-But absolutely- Shouldnt be this thing fall out of Universe??

8. Mar 1, 2017 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have not answered any of our questions, and you seem to either have not read, or have not manage to understand what you've been told. If this is true, then all our future responses to you will be futile and will fall on deaf ears.

Either you address what have been posted in response to your question, or this is a waste of time.

By the way, it is the practice in this forum that "I read somewhere" isn't an acceptable starting source. You must cite your source!

Zz.

9. Mar 1, 2017 #8
  10. Mar 1, 2017 #9
    With " absolute standstill" I mean not moving with the universe. If something be able to not move in the universe. shouldnt be fall out of Universe?

11. Mar 1, 2017 #10

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

12. Mar 1, 2017 #11

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

There is no frame of reference in which you are not moving with the universe. There is NO absolute reference frame.

Again, read everything that has been posted.

Zz.

13. Mar 1, 2017 #12
    IArent Time and Space the same concept?

14. Mar 1, 2017 #13
    If you take Universe is a paper if a pencil goes through this paper it goes out of the paper

15. Mar 1, 2017 #14

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

No. They are not. They have similarities. But the universe has a Minkowski geometry. No matter how you slice it up into space and time, the three dimensions of space contribute differently to the metric than the remaining dimension of time.

Your comment about paper and pencil is nonsensical.

16. Mar 1, 2017 #15

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The universe is not a paper, and I have no idea where you are going with this. But before you even try to consider the shape of the universe, you need to figure out your problem with understanding basic idea of relative motion and reference frame.

Since you seem to have problems understanding ALL that have been written in this thread, maybe viewing a video might help. So try this:

And please, don't jump around to other things. Tackle things ONE subject at a time. Figure out what is meant by "relative velocity" and why your idea of some absolute "universe" speed is incorrect. This is the basic physics that you must understand FIRST before proceeding any further. Otherwise, I'm out.

Zz.

17. Mar 1, 2017 #16
    OK Briggs thank you Now I got it. sorry, I am not a physicist. But I was just curious. Thank you for your time.

18. Mar 1, 2017 #17
    I meant if the Car doesnt move and if the road is moving the car goes out of the road??

19. Mar 1, 2017 #18
    Like you are standing out of the road?? Dont you fall to another Universe??

20. Mar 1, 2017 #19

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If the road moves lengthwise, such a car stays on the road. In that case there is no absolute sense in which we can say which of the two is moving and which (if either) is standing still.

21. Mar 1, 2017 #20
    The Universe is not two dimensional, general relativity posits a 4 dimensional model of 'spacetime' in which space dimensions and time are related.
    Space and time being related does not mean that time is the same thing as a space dimension.
    Since this model describes the entire Universe, there can be nothing external to it which can poke through it like a pencil.

Before Einstein there was the Newtonian model, in which space was one thing, and time was completely separate.
    In that model yes you could have an absolute rest frame, but that model is now known to be inaccurate.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted