If sup A < sup B, is there an element in B that is an upper bound of A?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lokisapocalypse
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
lokisapocalypse
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I need to show that if sup A < sup B, then there is an element in B that is an upper bound of A.

Well I know that if sup B is in B, then sub B is the element in B that is an upper bound of A. But I don't know how to show this is true if sup B is not in B.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to prove simply that [itex]\exists b \in B[/itex] such that [itex]\sup A \leq b \leq \sup B[/itex]. Assume not: then [itex]\sup A[/itex] is an upper bound of B, which contradicts the fact that [itex]\sup A < \sup B[/itex], and you're done.
 
AKG--

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. What you say makes sense but that doesn't prove that such a b exists. Or does it and I just don't get it which is equally as possible.
 
Suppose b doesn't exist. Can you prove a contradiction? (such as sup A = sup B)
 
But what about the case where sup B is not in B? Then I don't think I can get that contradiction.
 
Then, try to find two sets A and B where b doesn't exist, but sup A < sup B!

We're lucky, we already know this will be impossible, but it still might give you insight.

(As always, it often helps to write out what the definitions say too)