Thermal physics, COP upper bound for heat driven heat pumps

In summary, the conversation involves a presentation made on the efficiency and coefficient of performance (COP) for various types of heat engines and heat pumps. The presenter discusses their formulae for the upper bounds of efficiency/COP, specifically for a heat driven heat pump with three thermal reservoirs. They mention finding online sources for comparison and using the presentation for tutoring. The presenter also asks for feedback on potential mathematical errors and ways to make the presentation more concise. Some comments are given, including clarifications on using absolute values for heats and easier derivations for the efficiency and COP calculations. A question is also raised about the practicality of a heat driven heat pump.
sf1001
TL;DR Summary
I made a presentation where I derived, or at least attempted to derive, the formulae for the upper bounds of the efficiency/cop for a heat engine, work driven heat pump, and a heat driven heat pump with 3 thermal reservoirs, hot, warm, and cold. Could someone check my math?
I made a presentation where I derived, or at least attempted to derive, the formulae for the upper bounds of the efficiency/cop (cop = coefficient of performance) for a heat engine, work driven heat pump, and a heat driven heat pump with 3 thermal reservoirs, hot, warm, and cold. There are many online sources to compare my result for the efficiency/cop of a heat engine or work driven heat pump with 2 heat reservoirs, hot and cold, but I haven't found any for the last case, the heat driven heat pump. I am assuming all isothermal heat exchanges with the heat reservoirs, which I think yields a theoretical upper bound for the calculated efficiencies and cop. I intend to use this presentation for tutoring HS physics. Are there any mathematical errors in the linked presentation, particularly for my formulae for the cop of the heat driven heat pump? Also, is there a way I could make the presentation more succinct? Here is a link to the presentation:

https://docs.google.com/presentatio...ouid=113815052145113661511&rtpof=true&sd=true

Physics news on Phys.org
Just a few comments.

1. It can get confusing if you use absolute values for heats when switching between the forward cycle (heat engines) and the reverse cycle (heat pumps and refrigerator). As as long as you make it clear that ##\frac{Q_c}{Q_h}>\frac{T_c}{T_h}## for the forward cycle and ##\frac{Q_c}{Q_h}<\frac{T_c}{T_h}## or ##\frac{Q_h}{Q_c}>\frac{T_h}{T_c}## for the reverse cycle, this is ok.*

*This follows from ##\Delta S=Q_h/T_h+Q_c/T_c>0## (where terms are actual, not absolute values). So when heat flow to the hot reservoir is negative (heat engine) the inequality is met only if ##\frac{|Q_c|}{T_c}>\frac{|Q_h|}{T_h}## and when heat flow to the cold reservoir is negative (heat pumps and refrigerators), the inquality is met only if ##\frac{|Q_c|}{T_c}<\frac{|Q_h|}{T_h}##

2. In frame 4, an easier to follow derivation might be:
[tex]\eta = \frac{W}{Q_h}=\frac{Q_h-Q_c}{Q_h}=(1-\frac{Q_c}{Q_h})[/tex]
and, since: ##\frac{Q_c}{Q_h}>\frac{T_c}{T_h}## for a heat engine (from 1. above) this means:
[tex]\eta = (1-\frac{Q_c}{Q_h})<(1-\frac{T_c}{T_h})[/tex]
3. Similarly in frame 6, it might be easier to show:
[tex]COP_h = \frac{Q_h}{W}=\frac{Q_h}{Q_h-Q_c}=\frac{1}{(1-\frac{Q_c}{Q_h})}[/tex]
and, since: ##\frac{Q_c}{Q_h}<\frac{T_c}{T_h}## for a heat pump (from 1. above) this means:
[tex]COP_h=\frac{1}{(1-\frac{Q_c}{Q_h})}<\frac{1}{(1-\frac{T_c}{T_h})}[/tex]
4. And again for frame 7 the cooling coefficent of performance:
[tex]COP_c = \frac{Q_c}{W}=\frac{Q_c}{Q_h-Q_c}=\frac{1}{(\frac{Q_h}{Q_c}-1)}[/tex]
and, since: ##\frac{Q_h}{Q_c}>\frac{T_h}{T_c}## for a refrigerator (from 1. above) this means:
[tex]COP_c=\frac{1}{(\frac{Q_h}{Q_c}-1)}<\frac{1}{(\frac{T_h}{T_c}-1)}[/tex]
5. You might also want to explain why a heat driven heat pump makes any sense. Why not just have heat flow directly from hot to warm?

AM

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically how particles and energy interact to produce heat and temperature.

2. What is COP upper bound for heat driven heat pumps?

COP (Coefficient of Performance) is a measure of the efficiency of a heat pump, which is a device that transfers heat from a lower temperature source to a higher temperature sink. The COP upper bound is the maximum possible efficiency that can be achieved by a heat pump, based on the laws of thermodynamics.

3. How is the COP upper bound calculated?

The COP upper bound is calculated using the Carnot efficiency, which is the maximum efficiency that can be achieved by a heat engine operating between two temperatures. The COP upper bound for a heat pump is equal to the Carnot efficiency divided by the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink.

4. Why is the COP upper bound important?

The COP upper bound is important because it represents the theoretical limit of efficiency for a heat pump. By understanding this limit, scientists and engineers can work towards improving the efficiency of heat pumps and developing more sustainable and environmentally friendly heating and cooling systems.

5. What are some factors that can affect the COP upper bound?

The COP upper bound can be affected by various factors such as the temperature difference between the heat source and sink, the type of working fluid used in the heat pump, and the design and efficiency of the heat pump components. Other external factors such as ambient temperature and humidity can also impact the COP upper bound.