1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If t^2 = x can't I just replace t^2 with x?

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    Rather than having to take the root of t? It doesn't seem like there's a rule against it, unless it is for a specific problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2015 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The statement ##t^2=x## is saying that the expressions (strings of text) ##t^2## and ##x## represent the same number. So yes, you can certainly replace one with the other. For example if you're asked what ##t^6## is, you can write ##t^6=(t^2)^3=x^3##.

But I'm not sure what exactly you have in mind. Perhaps you can clarify. Is there a specific problem where someone has told you that you can't replace ##t^2## with ##x##?

Note by the way that if you take the square root of both sides, you get ##|t|=\sqrt{x}##, not ##t=\sqrt{x}##. The statement ##t^2=x## implies that either ##t=\sqrt{x}## or ##t=-\sqrt{x}##.

4. Apr 24, 2015 #3
    No no specific problem, I was just trying to make my life a bit easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook