Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If the double slit were performed underwater?

1. Mar 8, 2015 #1
    I know that photons interact weakly with air molecules which is why we have the interference pattern, and I know they interact strongly with say mud so there would be no pattern in a mud pit, though Im not sure if in a mud pit there would be any kind of light that reaches the screen at all. Anyways I digress do photons interact strongly with water cancelling out the interference pattern thus giving us a regular particle pattern instead of a wave interaction? Also are there any other substances where photons interact strongly where you still see a pattern of light but without the interference pattern? Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I don't think your premise is right. You can interfere light in glass. Underwater would be a bit messy, but I don't see why it wouldn't work - apart from high voltage issues.

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3
    Ok but are there any substances where photons interact strongly where you still see a pattern of light on the screen that is not the interference pattern?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook