Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If there is a big crunch will space collapse with the matter?

1. Feb 17, 2015 #1
    If there is a big crunch will space collapse with the matter?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

It's difficult to talk about 'space itself'. Other than being 'bent' by mass, energy, and stress, space doesn't seem to have any properties that could collapse. It would certainly be heavily altered by the presence of extreme amounts of mass in a small volume, but I don't know I'd go so far to say that 'space collapses'.

4. Feb 18, 2015 #3
    If space can expand, how couldn't it collapse...?

5. Feb 18, 2015 #4
    Think of it as running time backwards in time until the Big Bang, so space itself would collapse, yes.

6. Feb 18, 2015 #5
    If I understand the standard big bang theory correctly, space is like a balloon and is taking the clumps of matter along for the ride as it is expanding, so to initiate a big crunch would space have to start collapsing, or would matter start collapsing, in effect the air would be let out of the balloon? But, what is more interesting to me is how, by what physical means does space latch onto clumps of matter, how does space become a balloon?

7. Feb 18, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

That's a good point and one I hadn't thought about. Unfortunately I don't have a good answer for you.

This is a complicated issue and I'm sorry to say that I, again, don't have a good answer for it. I'm sure General Relativity says something on the matter. As far as I understand it, everything ultimately boils down to describing the behavior of objects within spacetime, not to 'spacetime itself' unless you're talking about what the metric is doing. But that's all a little over my head to be honest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook