Magnetospheric eternally collapsing objects

• B
  • Thread starter tovisonnenberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    black holes
In summary, there is a theory proposing that collapsing massive stars do not form singularities, but instead end up as "magnetospheric eternally collapsing objects" (MECOs) due to radiation pressure halting the collapse at the Eddington limit. This object is said to be in "eternal collapse" and does not form an event horizon. However, the stability of these objects for eternity is still unclear and it is questioned whether radiation from the object would eventually cause it to dissipate.
tovisonnenberg
I read about a theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetospheric_eternally_collapsing_object) (https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0602453.pdf) that proposes that collapsing massive stars never actually form a singularity, and instead they end up as "magnetospheric eternally collapsing objects" (MECOs). The theory states that as the infalling matter from a collapsing massive star grows denser and hotter, there will be enough radiation for the object to approach the Eddington limit and halt the collapse. The object is then said to be in "eternal collapse".
My question is:
How can this object maintain its stability for eternity? Why wouldn't the object eventually radiate itself away? At least some radiation from the object must escape because the theory explicitly states that MECOs do not form event horizons.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there :smile:

tovisonnenberg said:
I read about a theory
where ?
Please don't say something like that without links, quotes etc, so that it can be evaluated by those you would like to read and comment on your post :smile:
We don't know if you were reading a valid scientific paper or some poorly written, for the masses, pop-science article ?regards
Dave

I added 2 links in the original post. Thanks for letting me know!

Likes davenn
The Wiki article seems to claim that the mass would indeed radiate away.

I’m afraid I don’t see how radiation pressure prevents an event horizon from forming, especially in the case of supermassive black holes. The Schwarzschild Radius for these is, in some cases, greater than the diameter of our Solar system. Radiation pressure in this case would have to keep multiple individual stars outside of that radius.

I have not, however, examined the mathematical treatment presented, so maybe I will have a better understanding later.

1. What are magnetospheric eternally collapsing objects (MECOs)?

MECOs are theoretical objects that are thought to occur when a massive star collapses under its own gravity. They are characterized by the presence of a magnetic field, which plays a significant role in their formation and collapse.

2. How are MECOs different from black holes?

MECOs and black holes are both objects that result from the collapse of massive stars. However, MECOs are thought to have a solid surface, while black holes are defined by a point of infinite density known as a singularity. Additionally, MECOs are theorized to have a measurable magnetic field, while black holes have no such field.

3. Can MECOs be observed or detected?

At this time, MECOs are purely theoretical and have not been observed or detected. However, there are ongoing efforts to search for evidence of MECOs using various methods, such as studying the gamma-ray bursts that may be produced during their formation.

4. What are the potential implications of MECOs in astrophysics?

If MECOs are proven to exist, they could have significant implications in our understanding of the universe. They could potentially provide an alternate explanation for some phenomena currently attributed to black holes, such as the jets of high-energy particles seen emanating from the centers of galaxies.

5. Are MECOs a feasible source of energy?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that MECOs could be a viable source of energy. In fact, the collapse of a massive star into a MECO is thought to release a tremendous amount of energy in the form of gamma-ray bursts, making it a destructive force rather than a potential energy source.