1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: If V1 x M1 = V2 x M2, then why here 2V1 x M1 = V2 x M2?

1. Nov 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables, and given/known data
    In the first rection, NaOH + HCl = NaCl + H2O
    From the first rection, we can write V1 x M1 = V2 x M2
    In the second rection, 2NaOH + H2SO4 =Na2SO4 + H2O
    From the second rection, Can we write V1 x M1 = V2 x M2?

2. Relevant equations
    1. NaOH + HCl = NaCl + H2O
    2. 2NaOH + H2SO4 =Na2SO4 + H2O

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the second rection, I wrote the equation V1 x M1 = V2 x M2 but my book says I am wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2017 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your equation 2 is telling you the two molecules of NaOH react with one of H2SO4!

Do not rely too much on remembering blind formulae without understanding what they mean.

4. Nov 19, 2017 #3
    According to you what will be the solution for the second reaction?

5. Nov 19, 2017 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Why don't you try to follow the stoichiometry and find out what the right approach is?

m1v1=m2v2 is one of the worst things taught in schools. Even if it is SOMETIMES true, people apply it blindly everywhere. Just forget you were ever taught it.

6. Nov 19, 2017 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, it sounds as though you need to revise from your books quite elementary ideas of what molecules, moles, molarities and chemical formulae are and mean.
    We help out here with misunderstandings of textbook material, but we do not write the textbooks, i.e. cannot do everything from zero, and we do not spoonfeed or give answers. (overlapped Borek's post.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted