Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If we consider the universe as bounded but infinite

1. May 6, 2015 #1

Atlas3

Gold Member

Would someone like to have a conversation with me about the bounds of the universe and energy? I have a few ideas rambling around.. When I say bounds I mean the expanding bubble. But I would like to discuss infinite matter and infinite energy big crunch possibility. I'm a beginner with BIG thoughts.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2015 #2

wabbit

Gold Member

I'm afraid you won't find that here, have you had a chance to look at the forum rules ?

4. May 6, 2015 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That's too broad as it stands for a PF thread. Can you pick one specific thing you have a question about?

5. May 6, 2015 #4

Atlas3

Gold Member

6. May 6, 2015 #5

Atlas3

Gold Member

I am trying to navigate and I'll find the guidelines. Thank you. If you are a moderator you can delete or close this thread. Thank you

7. May 6, 2015 #6

wabbit

Gold Member

8. May 6, 2015 #7

Atlas3

Gold Member

9. May 6, 2015 #8

wabbit

Gold Member

There's no proof that it is, we don't know. What is bounded is the mass in the observable universe, but I'm stuck for a proof here. I would say because we know (or at least we have good evidence that) the observable universe has a finite volume (there's a limit to how far we can see), and finite volumes can contain only a finite number of particles.

10. May 6, 2015 #9

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Yes, exactly.

11. May 6, 2015 #10

Atlas3

Gold Member

There does not seem to be a limit on how many particles there are? Exactly that there is no distance between them and an infinite number of them. I could call them Dark Particles.

12. May 6, 2015 #11

PeterDonis

2016 Award

This is not correct. What we are calling "particles" are not really point particles; they can't get arbitrarily close together. A better way of phrasing all this would be that a finite volume can only contain a finite mass.

13. May 6, 2015 #12

Atlas3

Gold Member

mass and particle are not the same thing. I don't mean discovered particles in my thoughts, or charged particles that cannot become close. More of an substance of ether in what i was thinking. I don't know the definition of point. I really cannot describe what i think the size of infinity is. To me it does not exist a countable finite size when considering infinity and particles. They don't have to be a part of something.

14. May 6, 2015 #13

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The matter and energy in our universe is not a continuous "substance". It comes in discrete, quantized pieces, which are what we were calling "particles" in previous posts. And a finite volume can only contain a finite number of such discrete, quantized pieces. That is the physical fact, and it is why a finite volume can only contain a finite mass.

15. May 6, 2015 #14

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Thread closed since the OP's question has been answered.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook