Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If X ∼ Uniform(−1, 1) find the pdf of Y = |X|

1. Nov 25, 2015 #1
    This question is killing me.

I know the graph is non-monotonic so i have to split up finding F(Y) for -1<Y and Y<1 but then what do I do with the modulus? >.<

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much x

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the pdf of X, which is as simple as a pdf can be.
    You have correctly assessed that the next step is to work out the cdf ##F_Y## of Y. THat is, for a given ##y\in[0,1]##, we need to work out what is ##F_Y(y)##?

##F_Y(y)## is the probability that ##Y\leq y##. What values of ##X## produce a value of ##Y## that satisfies that? Can you work out the probability that ##X## has such a value?

4. Nov 25, 2015 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By inspection, Y is uniform between 0 and 1.

5. Nov 25, 2015 #4

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Nov 25, 2015 #5

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Unfortunately that only works for increasing or decreasing functions, so it can't be applied to the absolute value function.

7. Nov 25, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why not apply it piecewise, from -1 to 0 then from 0 to 1?

8. Nov 25, 2015 #7
    I'm sorry, can you explain what you just said? I'm tired and feeling slightly brain dead but this homework is due in tomorrow :(

I've calculated that the pdf is 1/2 for -1<x<1 and 0 otherwise.

I understand that to find the probability that Y≤y i have to fine the probability that |x|≤y for -1<Y<0 and 0<Y<1 but how do I do that? Am I missing something obvious? Can I just get rid of the modulus because i'm considering all possible values on Y?

9. Nov 25, 2015 #8

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to be more careful with upper and lower case, in order to avoid confusing yourself. The standard convention, which works nicely, is to use upper case for a random variable and lower case for a plain old number. So when we write ##Prob(Y\leq y)## we mean the probability that the random variable ##Y## is less than or equal to the number ##y##.
    So don't write things like ##|x|≤y## as you did above, because you'll just confuse yourself. If you instead write ##|X|\leq y## then it's easy to see how to proceed. You are trying to find the probability that the random variable ##X## has an absolute value in the range ##[0,y]##. So ask yourself:
    1. What range does ##X## have to be in for that to be the case?
    2. What is the probability of ##X## being in that range?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook