If you could change your user name

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary: So we keep the same instincts as our primate and pre-primate ancestors, but we superimpose culture and law on top of this. So we get split in two, dig? You might say, mankind is the statutory ape."In summary, the conversation revolved around changing usernames and the difficulty of coming up with creative ones. Some suggestions were RainStorm, Basil, Black Crowe, and Lisab. The conversation also touched on the love for basil, ravens, and the use of usernames for hunting. Finally, the conversation ended with one participant discussing their username, MarkovChaney, and its origins.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If you could change your user name...

...what would you change it to? I think I'd be RainStorm :rofl:. Or basil, I like that.

Whenever I'm asked to choose a username my brain always flat lines! I end up choosing something silly I regret later.

Physics news on Phys.org

I really like basil! OK, there's a reason that I like it, but you know that.

Actually, aside from the dyslexic humor, I really love basil. We grow a couple of varieties in containers on our back deck every summer, and it's an essential ingredient in every tomato-based sauce or salsa. I love cilantro in salsa, but fresh basil seems to sweeten every acidic concoction I can make. I have to keep an eye on my dog when he's out on the deck. He loves basil too.

turbo-1 said:
I really like basil! OK, there's a reason that I like it, but you know that.

Actually, aside from the dyslexic humor, I really love basil. We grow a couple of varieties in containers on our back deck every summer, and it's an essential ingredient in every tomato-based sauce or salsa. I love cilantro in salsa, but fresh basil seems to sweeten every acidic concoction I can make. I have to keep an eye on my dog when he's out on the deck. He loves basil too.

Well at least it makes his breath nice and herbal!

I like lisab more than basil.

I don't like my username but I am inept at coming up with [STRIKE]creative [/STRIKE]words.

My favorite username is evo because it's short. I also love Pengwuino because it's funny.

Last edited:
Likes gracy

I could go for "M-51" due to research interests in redshifts in interacting galaxies. Finally got a peer-reviewed paper published in my 50's, and sent Springer preprints to friends and relatives. That was fun. My father was proud, but flummoxed, because he didn't realize that it could be a big deal to me to get a scientific paper published. I'm still waiting to see an old friend that saw our rough first draft and said "That will never get published!" I'm saving a preprint for him. Ha!

Evo = Evil and suits me perfectly.

I already use polomint in another forum, it was the first thing i saw on my table, so it did not take much brain power.

I spend way too much time thinking about them. I feel like I'm getting a tattoo or something. Eventually, I'll just give-up out of pure exhaustion.

Likes gracy

lisab said:
...what would you change it to? I think I'd be RainStorm :rofl:. Or basil, I like that.

Whenever I'm asked to choose a username my brain always flat lines! I end up choosing something silly I regret later.

I think yours should be geenfly o:)

lisab said:

Are you thinking about changing your username?

Dembadon said:
Are you thinking about changing your username?

No but I'm always baffled at the creative desert I find myself in when I try to think of one!

wolram said:
I think yours should be geenfly o:)

I'm not a fly, I'm a forest nymph :tongue2:!

lisab said:

being hard to handle, you could always go with something like Black Crowe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suiojh6ezD0

Proton Soup said:
being hard to handle, you could always go with something like Black Crowe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suiojh6ezD0

I love crows! And ravens too!

I like lisab, it flows off the tongue...leeesaaab

Evo said:
I like lisab, it flows off the tongue...leeesaaab

Exactly!

I was going to say basil isn't as smooth as lisab but I thought it was just me.

lisab said:
I love crows! And ravens too!
I used to live on a high hill with west-facing cliffs in the back. Ravens dominated that rookery area, and they were so fun. Crows can make lots of interesting noises, but ravens are really vocal, and seem to communicate quite effectively with their buddies just through their vocalizations.

When I was a kid and learning how to hunt, my father taught me to watch for ravens because they would gather around a deer-carcass or a gut-pile. Very nice compasses when you're looking for game. On the flip side, blue jays can get themselves in a tizzy and tell every critter within a mile that you are trying to lay low and be sneaky.

turbo-1 said:
When I was a kid and learning how to hunt, my father taught me to watch for ravens because they would gather around a deer-carcass or a gut-pile. Very nice compasses when you're looking for game.

This is a little puzzling. Does live game hang around dead carcasses and gut piles?

caffenta said:
This is a little puzzling. Does live game hang around dead carcasses and gut piles?
No. Finding a freshly-killed deer or even an older gut-pile would let you backtrack though the snow to see where the deer had come from. Deer are herd-animals. If you know a bit of wood-craft and hunting skills, you can get an advantage through such observations.

I do not think I would want to change it. When I first got online I started with the name MarkovChaney, a character from one of my favourite books though its actually spelled like its source in the book (Markoff Chainy). Later for some reason I decided to use something different and started thumbing through that same book and found...

"So we keep the same instincts as our primate and pre-primate ancestors, but we superimpose culture and law on top of this. So we get split in two, dig? You might say, mankind is the statutory ape."

I've been using the same name ever since. Occasionally I have used something else when not wanting to be recognized. For a while I used MiscellaneousMischief.

I wonder how would that work with my name... "tnemniatnoc" Ya that's not bad I should change it.

This is not a username I use anywhere else, so this was a new one for me. Even though it was a little bumpy here at first, it certainly makes more sense in a science related forum than any other place I visit.

Last edited:

I would love to change my nick to Borek.

Oh, and as we all know, Jimmy is a nice name.

lisab said:

I think my current user name is OK but i think GRASSHOPPER would be cool too(i am so much cooler than a lot of people on this forum:approve:) but any way user names are not really that important getting something informational and helpful out of this forum is the real reason why we are here(in PF not in this world!):smile:

lisab said:

How would we know who the heck you were if you changed your user name? There's only one forest nymph so that makes it easy.

I actually did change my user name. That is, Greg changed it for me. It used to be jimmy snyder. I would change it to Jimmy if I could. No one doesn't call me Jimmy.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I actually did change my user name. That is, Greg changed it for me. It used to be jimmy snyder. I would change it to Jimmy if I could. No one doesn't call me Jimmy.
And nobody doesn't like Sara Lee! Maybe you could take that name...

turbo-1 said:
And nobody doesn't like Sara Lee! Maybe you could take that name...
When my next sex change operation comes around perhaps I will.

If I could change my username I would like a blank name or sunshine & gasoline, SAG or S&G for short. :-)

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
If I could change my username I would like a blank name or sunshine & gasoline, SAG or S&G for short. :-)
I've always wondered how long it took you to log in with your handle. Copy and past maybe?

I would be lazygirl, or rather stopbeinglazygirl, there is really nothing nuclear about me whatsoever.

nucleargirl said:
... there is really nothing nuclear about me whatsoever.
You expect me to believe that? HA!

what would nuclear be? dense core with a fluffy exterior?

Proton Soup said:
what would nuclear be? dense core with a fluffy exterior?
Or smokin' hot with a short half-life?