If you had superpowers what would they be?

• Thread starter X-43D
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not talking about The Matrix. In summary, the conversation is about discussing the best superpowers and their potential uses. Some suggestions include invulnerability, intangibility, super-strength, flight, superhuman intelligence, teleportation, shape-shifting, and the ability to manipulate thoughts and time. One person suggests the ability to control money, while another mentions the idea of being able to control the universe as a dream. The conversation also touches on the topic of the limitations of superpowers and the concept of reality.
The ability to tell the future, even if it were only for a short time, would trump all the other powers. You would know where others were going to punch, where the bullets were going to fly and what the stock market was going to do (hey! every super hero needs money). And best of all, what questions were going to be on the test.

Physics news on Phys.org
radou said:
I'd like to be able to see through womens clothes. Sometimes. :biggrin: o:)

Actually, I'm kidding. Hell, I wouldn't like to have this super power. Things wouldn't be fun.
Hah, that's why I refuse to go into any stripclubs. Don't ever want to be desensitized.

wildman said:
The ability to tell the future, even if it were only for a short time, would trump all the other powers. You would know where others were going to punch, where the bullets were going to fly and what the stock market was going to do (hey! every super hero needs money). And best of all, what questions were going to be on the test.
I agree, especially if you had a high amount of control over it and with a large range. It would definitely be the second most powerful. The first, of course, being the ability to give yourself new superpowers :biggrin:

Huckleberry said:
I'm not talking about The Matrix.

I guess if the universe were my personal dream then I could do anything I have the ability to imagine. Basically, I would have all super-powers. So I'd instantly think of all the possibilities of every possible combination of events right down to the atomic structure and experience them all. Then I'd be bored and wonder what is real that is beyond my imagination. What am I missing?
The whole 'Omnipotence would be boring' argument makes no sense to me. It's impossible to predict what existence would be like for someone who wasn't confined by human mortality. It might be boring, it might be something completely different, we can't even begin to speculate.
Gale said:
Shape shifting!
Its the most wicked super cool amazing power worth having!
What are you people thinking?
Shape SHIFTING!
Yeah, I guess it'd be cool to be a girl for a day. :rofl:

mathwonk said:
as in the mel gibson movie, knowing what women are thinking.
Just women? Why not all people? That'd be cool. Oh, and you'd have to have a translation power as well. And why stop at people, all sentient life! Solve the question of animal intelligence once and for all. Imagine the look on Greenpeaces' face when you tell them whales only ever think about McDonalds.

Maybe the ability to shapeshift into two people, one man and one woman, and then give new meaning to the phrase "go..."

:rofl: That's awesome. I'd totally do that if I had the superpower. Pure Awesomeness.

told you shape shifting was the bestest. Imagine the possibilities! Why stop and just being men and women? You could be a man and a tree, a woman and a horse, a caterpillar and a french fry... Shape shifting would be the funnest power. hands down.

Psycho Kinetic ability and teleportation. Those two would trump anything.

whats psycho kinetic?

crazy excersize?

worst superpower ever.

Seriously though, I've considered this a long time. Shape shifting is the way to go. In theory, you would never die of old age right? and you could look like anything. Its as good as being invisible. and you wouldn't ever need tools and stuff, cause you could just shift it into your hand. Plus, shape shifting would be super fun!

It's probably one of the easier ones to shrug off scientifically too. I mean, your cell's re-organizing themselves makes more sense than, say, flight (wing-less), invulnerability, the other 'traditional' ones.

Getting the pants off of women would better anything though... hmmm... combine that with telekenesis, and you really have something...

Smurf said:
It's probably one of the easier ones to shrug off scientifically too. I mean, your cell's re-organizing themselves makes more sense than, say, flight (wing-less), invulnerability, the other 'traditional' ones.

Dunno... what if you could change the behavior of individual cells? Like say, something like stem cells maturing into different types of cells...

cyrusabdollahi said:
You can't go forwards (in time).
Yes I can. We all can.

Gale said:
told you shape shifting was the bestest. Imagine the possibilities! Why stop and just being men and women? You could be a man and a tree, a woman and a horse, a caterpillar and a french fry...

...or a loudspeaker with a hunk of beef on its top.

The powers i'd like to have are invulnerability to physical injuries and to all physical attacks, intangibility with the ability to phase through solid and liquid objects, ability to fly through sheer force of will, tactile telekinesis, super-strength, super-speed, heat vision, freeze vision, ability to see through solid matter, and cosmic energy absorption to increase strength.

X-43D said:
The powers i'd like to have are invulnerability to physical injuries and to all physical attacks, intangibility with the ability to phase through solid and liquid objects, ability to fly through sheer force of will, tactile telekinesis, super-strength, super-speed, heat vision, freeze vision, ability to see through solid matter, and cosmic energy absorption to increase strength.

Aren't those the abilities of the martian mahunter?

Kurdt said:
Aren't those the abilities of the martian mahunter?

Yes some of them, not all. Freeze vision is actually a power of Bizarro.

I think Gale has the best superpower nailed. If you could turn into anyone/anything at will, you could be invisible anywhere (like paint on a wall, or grass on a lawn) or make your hands into tools at will, like the advanced Terminators.

or turn into a bird and learn how to fly.

or heal your body, prevent it from aging, and get a new hairstyle every day!

Its the ultimate power because its so versatile, but at the same time, not so powerful that life would lose meaning or fun.

Gale said:
or heal your body, prevent it from aging, and get a new hairstyle every day!

Its the ultimate power because its so versatile, but at the same time, not so powerful that life would lose meaning or fun.
Yeah, can you imagine how dull life would be if you were omniscient? I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.

I want the power to be the only Coffeermaker in the universe

I want the powers of invulnerablility, intangibility and immortality

turbo-1 said:
Yeah, can you imagine how dull life would be if you were omniscient? I wouldn't wish that on an enemy.

You people have no imagination. Are you such boring people that nothing but your own ignorance is keeping you entertained?

It's not the only thing keeping me entertained... but my own ignorance can be very entertaining at times.

Smurf said:
You people have no imagination. Are you such boring people that nothing but your own ignorance is keeping you entertained?
Use your imagination. If you were omniscient, you would know everything that has happened, is happening and will happen to everything and everybody - in other words, you would live in an utterly predictable world with no free will (at least for you).

Smurf said:
If you think about it, everybody is ignorant about almost everything.

jimmysnyder said:
If you think about it, everybody is ignorant about almost everything.
True. I know how boilers and turbine generator sets work, but I couldn't begin to build either of them. That requires education and experience that I do not have. Ignorance, in the most pragmatic sense. I can play guitar quite well (at least I always got payed at the end of the gig...:tongue:) but could not begin to build a decent acoustic guitar, although I have repaired/refretted/modified many of my electric guitars over the years, and have completely restored a number of old Fender tube amps from the '60s, including some that were badly hacked up and modded. I can rebuild and tune an old S&S racing carb, but I am at a loss as to how to tinker the fuel/air mixture on my newer computerized fuel-injected Softail, except to load a new performance map into my aftermarket computer (and those are pre-written for typical breather/exhaust/cam combinations). It's just as important to know what you don't know as it is to know what you do know, and the former is always monstrous compared to the latter.

Disable all weapons, and stop all wars.
Paralyze those acting in aggression to others, until they stop the aggression.
Feed the starving and hungry.
Heal the sick and wounded.
Shelter the homeless.
Give hope to the hopeless.
Soothe the heartbroken.
Give everyone at least a second chance.

Relieve the suffering and the pain in the world - even if only for brief moment.

Its going to be hard to top Astronuc's one..obviously, but here's what I want :

Windwalking and the ability to "Blink". Most people won't know what that is, but anyone who plays Warcraft 3 or Defence of the Ancients will know that it is an ability where you instantly teleport, but only a short distance. In the game, if used effectively, you can get out of tight situations, and I'd like that rather than a full teleport to anywhere because that's not as much of a challenge :P The distance is about 5 metres of so, and can only be used once every 10 seconds, but if I were to use it to get into a lift shaft no one could find me :)

Windwalking gives you temporary invisibilty and an increased movespeed for about 30 seconds, and can be activated only every 30 seconds. Each of these abilities cost "mana" which we have a limited amount of.

The reason i choose them is because of the thrill of the ride, because let's face it, if you have Full invisiblity and ability to teleport any distance in an instant, nothing would give you fear. It would be like a real life game :)

EDIT: Blinking could be used as a form of intangibility, as long as the material you want to pass through is 5metres of less, otherwise you get stuck :)

Last edited:
If I had to chose a Superpower, it would be something like increasing my reasoning ability by 200% for a short period of time in order to answer a few questions that I can't currently answer.