Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

If you had to jump from very high, what would you use as a parachute?

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    If you had to jump out of something, say a plane or a tall building, what sort of objects would you try to grab onto to slow your decent?

Curtains? A blanket or tablecloth (if you can find one)? Your jacket? A door (or other large, flat object of some sort)?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2014 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

My insurance policy.

4. May 8, 2014 #3
    I would likely just use a parachute :)

I am skeptical anything above will do you much good. Mostly likely it will rip from your hands or distort in a way that renders it useless.

5. May 8, 2014 #4
    Do office buildings stock parachutes (that might not be such a bad idea, actually; if everyone on the Titanic kept a blow up raft or innertube under their beds, the incident would have been a lot less tragic)? Of course the above aren't the best options, but in a scenario where your plane is plummeting to earth, you kind of have to make the most of a bad situation.

6. May 8, 2014 #5

drizzle

Gold Member

OMG Evo:rofl::cry::rofl:

You should be nominated for the coming best humor award:rofl:

I don't think a door would be a good idea. :uhh:

7. May 9, 2014 #6
    I redesigned an umbrella when I was a kid and used it as a parachute to jump down from the top of the house :D It uh...didn't work so well :-(

I wouldn't use anything else as a parachute than an actual parachute - had some paratrooper training in the military and when you're up there, you really wish you had a parachute :D

8. May 9, 2014 #7
    I always bring a couple of chickens with me when in tall office buildings. I feel that if I have to jump out, I will just latch onto them. If they do not want to die, they well better learn how to fly pretty damn quick.

9. May 9, 2014 #8

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I have several acquaintances that are full of hot hair. Any one of them would do nicely.

10. May 9, 2014 #9

Lisa!

Gold Member

Nothing since it ruins the joy of jumping!:wink:

11. May 9, 2014 #10

drizzle

Gold Member

house_stare_zpsd00f55a2.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  12. May 9, 2014 #11

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmmm

i'd look for something soft to land on.

13. May 9, 2014 #12

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Funny. When I was a preteen a friend and myself talked his brother into jumping off his two story house with a bed sheet "parachute". Luckily he's still alive today.

14. May 9, 2014 #13

drizzle

Gold Member

Springs for myself. :p

15. May 9, 2014 #14
    I would probably use a parachute.

16. May 9, 2014 #15
    Assuming that all parachutes are already taken - what about big air mattress? Light, allows a bit gliding and would absorb tiny part of energy?

(body would be easier to identify or not?)

17. May 9, 2014 #16
    Funny :) or try to maneuver it to where they are under you on impact.

18. May 9, 2014 #17
    If it were from a building, I suppose I would try to latch onto something like a window ledge on my way down. From a plane... I'd just close my eyes and think of happy thoughts haha

19. May 9, 2014 #18
    I don't know, but perhaps a better strategy, rather than trying to slow your decent, is to put something underneath you to break your fall

maybe a chair

I'm not sure though

20. May 9, 2014 #19

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

21. May 9, 2014 #20

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I'd use MisterX.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook